Eel won’t eat

noahage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a snowflake eel a week ago and the shop said he was eating there but he hasn't ate since I got him. He comes up and smells the krill and then goes back into his rock and when my lights turn off at 11pm he goes crazy and zips all over the the tank but doesn’t eat the krill I sometimes leave under a rock in the tank any help?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of krill are you feeding (freeze dried, frozen, etc)?
What was the shop feeding the eel?
Have you tried tong-feeding the eel?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live foods! Ghost shrimp and cheap little goldfish just to get it eating something. Krill is probably the worst seafood for predatory fish

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not feed live goldfish, they contain thiaminase and it is bad for your eel same with krill they are good for a one time feed once in a while. Rather a varied diet would ensure better health of the eel (squid, krill, silver slides, etc.) when first acquiring a new eel they sometimes need a “reset” in order to feed , this is done by live foods. I would recommend ghost shrimp so that the eel won’t associate live fish with food ( in case you want to house some fish with the eel). I currently have a snowflake living with cleaner shrimp/ clownfish and he does not bother them due to tong feeding , just some things to keep in mind.

OP
OP
noahage

noahage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m feeding what the shop fed him but since he has been introduced to a new tank I should maybe try to get him back on a eating schedule

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely a case for a reset as the others have said, and sometimes that does take live food. While ghost shrimp would be the best and I don't recommend goldfish, but what @xxkenny90xx suggested, was just for a reset, not for a long term diet. And krill is likely the #1 food to kill your predatory fish, they will get used to eating just that, and sometimes becomes difficult to feed anything else. Krill contains a high amount of thiaminese which binds vitamin B1, and proves to be deadly. Seafood from your market will be best; including shrimp, scallop, octopus, and squid. Each eel is different and will find his favorites.

I never trust a new eel not eating for too long, they comes in with internal parasites many times and the sooner addressed the better. If he doesn't scarf down some live ghosties, observation or treatment for internal parasites would be suggested.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back