Eels in a reef aquarium...we need to talk this through!

Have you successfully kept an EEL in a reef tank?

• Yes, success!

Votes: 58 22.9%
  • No, I was unsuccessful.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Would like to try one day.

Votes: 175 69.2%

• Total voters

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two golden dwarf morays in a full reef tank for about 5 months now. There are many small anthias, flasher and fairy wrasses. So far no problems. Also just to echo, golden dwarfs do love to eat clams!

I had ribbon eels last year, but I just couldn't get them to eat and they died after a month or so.

Punksboops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My G.Miliaris in my 350 gallon reef
20190401_182115.jpg

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tessalata about 12 years ago but and he was awesome. It was a predator tank though. I'm hoping to get another one once I get my new 90 established but I have not done any research. Does anyone have experience with a Tessalata in a reef tank?

Here's a pic of a California Moray I took while diving locally about 12 years ago, just for kicks.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two golden dwarf morays in a full reef tank for about 5 months now. There are many small anthias, flasher and fairy wrasses. So far no problems. Also just to echo, golden dwarfs do love to eat clams!

I had ribbon eels last year, but I just couldn't get them to eat and they died after a month or so.

Confirmed they love clam! lol

That's good to know because I never would of expected that. I wonder if most of the eels we keep would go after a clam.

That's a good thought I wonder if other eels are like this.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a snowflake but it escaped a 10 gallon QT tank I had it in with a full hood that was taped down and all openings were taped over. Found him dried out behind the tank. Tried putting him back in after seeing people say they survived but no such luck. To this day couldn't tell you where it got out.

Haven't tried again since.

IMG_4419.JPG
Is that indentation in the middle front of the top possibly a untaped feeding door?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that indentation in the middle front of the top possibly a untaped feeding door?

It is. It could have escaped from there but I would have thought if it did I would have seen some sort of salt/slime trail on the top since it ended up behind the tank but the top was clean.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirmed they love clam! lol

That's a good thought I wonder if other eels are like this.
Good to know. Maybe somebody else will chime in that has experience with this as well with other eels. I want to set up a larger Macro display tank / fuge with eels and maybe sprinkle a soft coral like a toadstool here and there. I was considering a clam as well since they would probably appreciate dirtier water since they filter feed but maybe I'm wrong and would be an expensive meal if it didn't work out.

U

User1

View Badges
I guess you mean the green wolf eel; I've never seen one of those before, had to look it up.
Also called the carpet eel blenny, even though it's not a blenny either.

Pacific NW scuba divers play with these wolf eels (they're like underwater puppies),
but they grow up to 7' long, a little too large for most home aquaria!
Not to mention, the water temp they live in is around 50-60 degrees.

February_2%2C_2012_Wolf_Eel_%28really_a_fish%21%29_in_Puget_Sound_%286842178290%29.jpg

Wolf_eel.png

Pac West scuba diver here. I run into these things all the time in Monterey - especially in whalers cove / Point Lobos. Anyway I do not pet them :)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dwarf Golden Moray in my 125g reef. I’m glad I pulled the trigger and got him. Perfect addition. He did eat a healthy blue green chromis once though. His main diet is squid and shrimp.

EA72A7D0-576E-4191-A8D4-F76D36CCD6AE.jpeg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pac West scuba diver here. I run into these things all the time in Monterey - especially in whalers cove / Point Lobos. Anyway I do not pet them :)

We did! Some of the ones around here would get so used to divers that they'd come out and start circling our legs and torso! People would even name them. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dwarf Golden Moray in my 125g reef. I’m glad I pulled the trigger and got him. Perfect addition. He did eat a healthy blue green chromis once though. His main diet is squid and shrimp.

EA72A7D0-576E-4191-A8D4-F76D36CCD6AE.jpeg
Hey, Nolan
Followed your lead on an Hawaiian Golden Dwarf and love that guy.
He's really content with his head hanging out all the time and loves frozen squid.

I know that I should have a screen top, but he's never really thought about making a escape... :)

U

User1

View Badges
We did! Some of the ones around here would get so used to divers that they'd come out and start circling our legs and torso! People would even name them. :)

I don't doubt it :) The few I've come across are somewhat shy. The sea otters and sea lions, well, those are another story. I've not made any dives up your way but I bet it is nice.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would freak out. I’m terrified of snakes, and probably would pass out. LOL I have swam with sharks bigger then myself though

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I dove Whalers Cover about 12 years ago. What an awesome spot!

I remember seeming a video a long time ago with a diver, I believe in Hawaii, feeding an eel a hot dog. He was not wearing gloves. It’s not hard to guess what happened.

U

User1

View Badges
I

I dove Whalers Cover about 12 years ago. What an awesome spot!

I remember seeming a video a long time ago with a diver, I believe in Hawaii, feeding an eel a hot dog. He was not wearing gloves. It’s not hard to guess what happened.

Ouch.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it made prime time. I was mistaken it was Thailand. This is not the original video I saw though and what they’re not telling you is that he was feeding them hotdogs which looks just like ??? One thing that is rarely discussed is how destructive it is to feed aquatic life.

JimmyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (2) golden dwarfs for about 8 months now... best tank addition I could make. Always wanted to try and these guys add so much character to the tank. Don’t touch my shrimp but did munch a small goby... they eater silverside once or twice a week and the goby looked like their normal dinner.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back