Eels in a reef aquarium...we need to talk this through!

Have you successfully kept an EEL in a reef tank?

• Yes, success!

Votes: 58 22.9%
  • No, I was unsuccessful.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Would like to try one day.

Votes: 175 69.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I love how eels look, swim etc. but I love the coral and my reef tank more. ut do we have to have one without the other?

How many of you have succeeded in keeping eels (what kind) in a reef tank and what are the challenges you have faced?

IMG_9167.jpg

image via @FeliciaLynn

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely will own a Dwarf Golden Moray one day, and I have seen several successful coral packed reef tanks with these little fellas in them, so I know it won't be too big of an issue after I stomach the cost :rolleyes:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept both a golden dwarf and a zebra. Golden is fine, and you may actually even see it occasionally. Trick is keeping it in the tank. Mine would routinely find its way into the overflow box, sometimes even making it down to the sump. Got tired of all that and rehomed it. I currently have a zebra, and while it does not escape, I essentially never see it except when feeding it every two weeks or so. Mostly pointless.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive kept a zebra, a snowflake, and now a skeletor in a reef tank. zebras are very large and can be clumsy. snowflakes are slightly more aggressive, but not to the point they would be a problem. My current Skeletor has been my favorite so far. very peaceful and not too big. very nice look too and hangs its head out a lot. zebra and snowflakes will eat all of your crustaceans and CUC except for snails. my skeletor hasn't touched any of my CUC, not even the small peppermint shrimp. and they hang out together all the time. just my experience. hope this helps! let me know if any of you have any questions :D

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept a black ribbon in a reef for a long time. I eventually got rid of him because because he started eating all my fish.
Ate some clowns and a royal Gramma. Would be fine without any other fish or larger fish. This was like 20 plus years ago maybe closer to 30.

Biggest challenge is keeping a lid tight on them because they are escape artist. Same with allot of eels.

Golden Dwarf eels will be harder to get. Allot came from Hawaii. I think some still come from Indonesia.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a couple of snowflake eels and a wolf eel (which is actually a dottyback). Had great success with both. My first snowflake did escape a couple of times. By the way, he was also bulletproof. He was one of my very first "fish" and a super interesting guy. I had him for a couple of years and rehomed him when I moved.

EDIT: I should clarify that I meant a GREEN WOLF EEL. Not to be confused with some of the other wolf eels out there. :p

Last edited:

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried a snowflake but it escaped a 10 gallon QT tank I had it in with a full hood that was taped down and all openings were taped over. Found him dried out behind the tank. Tried putting him back in after seeing people say they survived but no such luck. To this day couldn't tell you where it got out.

Haven't tried again since.

IMG_4419.JPG

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake in my reef with no problems. They can dig under rock so rock work must be stable. I use a 1.5 inch piece of pvc cut a few inches shorter than the length of tank with a 45 degree elbow on each end pointing up, bury it under the sand with the elbows pointing up. Now you have an eel express lane from one end to the other. It’s pretty cool to see it go in one end then out the other!
7a900153bbd977b8cffe59bfaf8baed7.jpg

Also, be sure to smooth out any sharp edges on the elbows

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had eels more than once in a reef. I even had three shrimp with one. He was too lazy to even try to chase things down, had to fed with a stick. :)

Just gotta have a tight, strong lid to keep them from carpet surfing.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a Zebra in a 220 that did well. He ate a cocktail shrimp twice a week. On my newer tank I have a Golden Dwarf which is fantastic. He ate silversides from day one. I feed him 2 times a week as well.

98501237375abd333fc095c80450c84a.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a wolf eel (which is actually a dottyback).

I guess you mean the green wolf eel; I've never seen one of those before, had to look it up.
Also called the carpet eel blenny, even though it's not a blenny either.

Pacific NW scuba divers play with these wolf eels (they're like underwater puppies),
but they grow up to 7' long, a little too large for most home aquaria!
Not to mention, the water temp they live in is around 50-60 degrees.

February_2%2C_2012_Wolf_Eel_%28really_a_fish%21%29_in_Puget_Sound_%286842178290%29.jpg

Wolf_eel.png

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love my snowflake. He has never caused any problems in my tank. Never eaten a fish, crustation, shrimp or snail. He normally shares his cave hole with a peppermint shrimp and he loves getting cleaned by the cleaner wrasse. Biggest issue he has is getting beaten up by the tiny damsels (bare in mind he is over 2 feet long now) . Here he is hanging out with his little mate Tiny a dwarf zebra lion fish
20190211_200313.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found zebra eels to be an excellent inhabitant for larger tanks, completely fish safe, but can knock things over.

Melatremus eels are another good choice for a reef, but are much more shy.

Snowflakes are bolder, but can be hit-and-miss. I've had some be fine, but others hunt new fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back