Eels in a reef aquarium...we need to talk this through!

Have you successfully kept an EEL in a reef tank?

• Yes, success!

Votes: 58 22.9%
  • No, I was unsuccessful.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Would like to try one day.

Votes: 175 69.2%

• Total voters

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are awesome, and I love spotting them during dives, but I'd never keep one in an aquarium. Even with the smaller species, keeping an eel in anything but a ginormous aquarium is, IMO, cruel and inhumane. It would be like keeping a Malamute or Husky in a city apartment. Eels are generally much better left to the wild.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it made prime time. I was mistaken it was Thailand. This is not the original video I saw though and what they’re not telling you is that he was feeding them hotdogs which looks just like ??? One thing that is rarely discussed is how destructive it is to feed aquatic life.

Yikes!

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are awesome, and I love spotting them during dives, but I'd never keep one in an aquarium. Even with the smaller species, keeping an eel in anything but a ginormous aquarium is, IMO, cruel and inhumane. It would be like keeping a Malamute or Husky in a city apartment. Eels are generally much better left to the wild.
I somewhat disagree with that statement. I don't dive, although I want to learn, so I can't say how much space they occupy and am curious as to why you think it's cruel and inhumane. I don't see a reason why smaller species can't be kept. From my understanding most if not all tangs occupy a large territory yet we keep them in tiny boxes compared to what they have in the wild. Like I said I'm curious to hear your viewpoint and maybe learn something in the process.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat disagree with that statement. I don't dive, although I want to learn, so I can't say how much space they occupy and am curious as to why you think it's cruel and inhumane. I don't see a reason why smaller species can't be kept. From my understanding most if not all tangs occupy a large territory yet we keep them in tiny boxes compared to what they have in the wild. Like I said I'm curious to hear your viewpoint and maybe learn something in the process.

I'm curious as well as my eel literally just sits in his tunnel all day and seems perfectly happy. Or maybe he's not? From my understanding an unhappy eel is one that is constantly swimming around, trying to escape etc which I have not seen at all except when he changes resting spots or is searching for food when I feed the fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other than the ridiculous of keeping a green moray, I've found eels to be some the happiest and best kept aquarium additions. Providing of course you research the species and provide the proper home. most people think a 180g is large and keep many fish that really are better kept in the ocean, most every eel available would be very happy in a 180g. The tessa is a very special subject and is best left to the very experienced, but even them in the proper environment can thrive.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Nolan
Followed your lead on an Hawaiian Golden Dwarf and love that guy.
He's really content with his head hanging out all the time and loves frozen squid.

I know that I should have a screen top, but he's never really thought about making a escape... :)
That’s great! I don’t have a screen either, just the canopy which does have a couple escape points. With adequate rock work and space, I don’t think escape it on his mind.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see alot of people liked my ribbon eel in a reef, I guess i should add some more of the info requested in this thread. They are very difficult to keep, mainly because of feeding requirements. I do have him eating dead food but he also does eat live food, mainly guppies and mollies. So any small fish and likely inverts would be on the menu for this guy. I was only thinking in regards of the damage some eels do to corals by just being rambunctious.

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love how eels look, swim etc. but I love the coral and my reef tank more. ut do we have to have one without the other?

How many of you have succeeded in keeping eels (what kind) in a reef tank and what are the challenges you have faced?

IMG_9167.jpg

image via @FeliciaLynn
I have done snowflake eels

Unsuccessful in keeping them IN the tank

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TRIGGER SHARKFIST

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Eels and have tried to keep them with varied success.

I've had 3 Snowflake Eels all 3 escaped at some point.
One died on the carpet.
One died of a tumour in its month after about 2 years of owning.
One just died mysteriously overnight after about 3 years of owning.

Don't underestimate them they can escape through the most stupid of places.
Also they can eat bigger livestock than you think their mouth will take. No Shrimps, crabs or even snails are safe.
Even the Snowflake can get big .. Mine grew to about 2 foot in the short life they had.

They are amazing tho.

I WANT ANOTHER ONE !!! ... :)

TRIGGER SHARKFIST

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also dived with all sorts of morays and it always surprises me how friendly they are.

Even the massive brown Moray I dive with in the Maldives allow you to get close.
You can even get close enough to see the little cleaner shrimps that live in it's mouth !!!

I once got bit by a baby moray holding onto a rock whilst busy watching Manta Rays ... Teach me not to touch his world !!! :D

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back