Eelysium

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great, is that an engineer goby with the chainlink. Look at that face, the first time I saw an adult engineer, I thought it was an eel. Funny how most people have no idea what they are getting into to, and the lfs seem to have no responsibility into telling them.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're about 7-8" now though I rarely see anything but their head ad torso. And yes they're eel at the back goby at the front. I admit prior to wheat toast pointing it out I had no idea that the fry and the adults were related despite seeing both regularly.

I saw these guys at the Shed in Chicago a couple moths back. All of them probably 18"+. Yet they're often sold for 10$ as a cute little beginner goby (though obviously not a literal goby).
IMG_4310.jpeg

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those eels are awesome, I was considering getting another eel, but I'm satisfied with my Snowflake. I wouldn't recommend eels to 90% of people unless you really've done your research. I got really lucky with mine as he made it down my overflow in the 2nd night I had him luckily, he survived and I eel proofed my tank with egg crate and epoxy. Had him about 6 months now, big eater. They are seriously insanely good escape artists. Heavy lids are 100% a must have.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eels are awesome, I was considering getting another eel, but I'm satisfied with my Snowflake. I wouldn't recommend eels to 90% of people unless you really've done your research. I got really lucky with mine as he made it down my overflow in the 2nd night I had him luckily, he survived and I eel proofed my tank with egg crate and epoxy. Had him about 6 months now, big eater. They are seriously insanely good escape artists. Heavy lids are 100% a must have.
Yeah. I'm wondering if snake eels may be better than morays in that regard. They're far less flexible and thus can't get around tight bends like morays nor do they cling to rocks like morays and thus "climb" out. Saying that the banded is the only eel to have escaped when it jumped the tank during a feeding.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great, is that an engineer goby with the chainlink. Look at that face, the first time I saw an adult engineer, I thought it was an eel. Funny how most people have no idea what they are getting into to, and the lfs seem to have no responsibility into telling them.
The strangest of couples have moved to the other side of the tank and ruined all my burying attempts. Ah well haha.
IMG_4951.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't supposed to be a cool things I saw at an LFS thread but I saw another magnificent fish today:
IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4965.jpeg

I had no idea how beautiful the juvenile shovel nosed guitarfish is!
Also not pretty but a batfish. The ugly type but far more interesting than the pretty type of bat.
IMG_4964.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share how I cut food for the banded and its tiny mouth. Luckily it has pharyngeal jaws to then pull the food down its throat. It's too bad real snakes don't have those, they'd be very useful to them.

IMG_4980.jpeg
1668095437074.png

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my CUC is not doing well. I could only find two living snails a trochus and a Mexican turbo and no hermit crabs. Just a ton of empty shells. There still isn't much algae to speak of but some on the upper rocks and glass. Obviously the giant hermit was fine until the gold eel tried to eat it so I don't think its water conditions. Do eels eat snails and small hermit crabs @lion king . My only other suspect would be the wrasse I think??

Attachments

• IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5060.jpeg
    IMG_5060.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 33

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my CUC is not doing well. I could only find two living snails a trochus and a Mexican turbo and no hermit crabs. Just a ton of empty shells. There still isn't much algae to speak of but some on the upper rocks and glass. Obviously the giant hermit was fine until the gold eel tried to eat it so I don't think its water conditions. Do eels eat snails and small hermit crabs @lion king . My only other suspect would be the wrasse I think??
All but 2 of my 20 Halloween hermits are gone in my tank too. I'd highly recommend a bio pellet reactor. My tank was disgusting hair algae and cyano everywhere literally everywhere. Bio pellet reactor running for 3 months and 95% of algae is gone. Eels definitely eat CUC.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, yes, and yes. The eels you have and wrasses will clean out those shells. Urchins and star fish are safe choices for the long run. The problem with these is that they are so good, many times they starve after a while, so make sure your tank provides enough food. You are not running corals, right; in your themed tank I would decrease the light intensity and reduce the hours of light to your home hours of enjoyment, this will help with algae.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both. Algae still isn't a problem it's just a light film at the top. I'm growing cheat and the lights are low and short as you suggested Lion. More curious than anything and didn't want to waste more money on CUC.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another video. Really shows the competition in the tank. Those triggers are a bit of a problem. but still you can kind of see the banded using its pharyngeal jaws to pull the tentacles into its mouth.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this guy on hold. Should I go for it. At 400$ it would be by far my most expensive fish but at the same time it's a species I've rarely heard of and in my opinion is quite beautiful. I have 3 days before I lose the hold.

It was listed as a gold spot but it obviously isn't. Im fairly sure its a sharptail, Myrichthys breviceps.
IMG_5142.jpeg

1670092420139.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this guy on hold. Should I go for it. At 400$ it would be by far my most expensive fish but at the same time it's a species I've rarely heard of and in my opinion is quite beautiful. I have 3 days before I lose the hold.

It was listed as a gold spot but it obviously isn't. Im fairly sure its a sharptail, Myrichthys breviceps.
IMG_5142.jpeg

1670092420139.png

Definitely a gorgeous eel, do you really have room. Only you know as to how your current mates interact and, how are you managing feeding and maintenance. Price is relative, another question that will be personal.

With such close similarity to your current goldspot, how will this work out. Usually 50/50, likely based on sex.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a gorgeous eel, do you really have room. Only you know as to how your current mates interact and, how are you managing feeding and maintenance. Price is relative, another question that will be personal.

With such close similarity to your current goldspot, how will this work out. Usually 50/50, likely based on sex.
Thanks as always.

Space is definitely the biggest question. There is a free pipe and of course plenty of sand for burrowing though they do usually go for the pipes. All 3 snake eels are of the same genus and the two I have don't seem to notice each other. (Unlike the two morays who do not get along anymore.) Though as you said, the goldspot and the sharptail have more physical similarities and thus may be far closer related. As for sex I have no idea, eel gender and reproduction is mostly unknown as I understand it and it seems like research on this family of eels is particularly sparse.

This LFS is very expensive but is great about returns and buying from hobbyists at a good price (also never lost a fish from them).

I don't know. I think I'll go in with some food next time and see how it eats.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as always.

Space is definitely the biggest question. There is a free pipe and of course plenty of sand for burrowing though they do usually go for the pipes. All 3 snake eels are of the same genus and the two I have don't seem to notice each other. (Unlike the two morays who do not get along anymore.) Though as you said, the goldspot and the sharptail have more physical similarities and thus may be far closer related. As for sex I have no idea, eel gender and reproduction is mostly unknown as I understand it and it seems like research on this family of eels is particularly sparse.

This LFS is very expensive but is great about returns and buying from hobbyists at a good price (also never lost a fish from them).

I don't know. I think I'll go in with some food next time and see how it eats.

Trust me, in the long run you are going to have your hands full with that many snakes/morays in the tank. Maybe trade in the morays and get the sharptail, and have a snake specific tank. When I mentioned sex, I'm not necessarily meaning you sexing them, I'm eluding to the basis of if they get along or not, may come down to sex. Males of the same or similar species may cause angst with each other, obviously exaggerated in captivity and confined space.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back