OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, in the long run you are going to have your hands full with that many snakes/morays in the tank. Maybe trade in the morays and get the sharptail, and have a snake specific tank. When I mentioned sex, I'm not necessarily meaning you sexing them, I'm eluding to the basis of if they get along or not, may come down to sex. Males of the same or similar species may cause angst with each other, obviously exaggerated in captivity and confined space.

Yeah. As of now I am considering selling the triggers as they’ve gotten too aggressive to me, the tank inhabitants, and food. They and the clown were got just to give the foxface dither company and stop it freaking out. Which no longer is an issue.
Also think I may need to sell one moray as the snowflake is being aggressive to the chainlink.
That would significantly reduce food competition. And yes I admit in retrospect a species concentrated tank would probably have been better.

My thing on sex wasn’t disputing you rather I don’t know what the rules of sex is with these eels. Is it situational like many fish, brought on later in life like freshwater eels, based on their stage in life like ribbon eels, or is set at birth. I don’t know if you know?

I do agree that if they are both males then there is a good chance of territorialism and that is a good point I hadn’t thought of.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. As of now I am considering selling the triggers as they’ve gotten too aggressive to me, the tank inhabitants, and food. They and the clown were got just to give the foxface dither company and stop it freaking out. Which no longer is an issue.
Also think I may need to sell one moray as the snowflake is being aggressive to the chainlink.
That would significantly reduce food competition. And yes I admit in retrospect a species concentrated tank would probably have been better.

My thing on sex wasn’t disputing you rather I don’t know what the rules of sex is with these eels. Is it situational like many fish, brought on later in life like freshwater eels, based on their stage in life like ribbon eels, or is set at birth. I don’t know if you know?

I do agree that if they are both males then there is a good chance of territorialism and that is a good point I hadn’t thought of.

Whether sex is transitional or set at birth, the issues likely wouldn't arise until maturity. This is even evident in the wild, many if not most species of eels will live together as juveniles, but as adults become more solitary and territorial. At this point I'm sure you have done more research on snake eels than I have, so I would refer to you.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably seen in my other thread but I sold the two triggers and the chainlink. I'm sad about the chainlink as it was a fun and very active eel but it was being bullied by the snowflake and one had to go.
Got a couple brittles and a tuxedo urchin as I got some algae and plenty of scraps for the stars.
IMG_5218.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while here. I know something happened last night as one of the engineer gobies, Picky. They've been out more and more and even saw both out and interacting peacefully a little while ago. I thought they didn't like each other anymore as the other one, Scarry, used to chase it away from its burrow (haven't seen that for months). Anyway I got the tape measure out and got the lengths of both the engineers and the banded.
The banded is about 26" which is shorter than I thought
The engineers are almost 10" which is longer than I thought
IMG_5425.jpeg

I removed one pipe system that was unused and ugly and the burrows are as follows:
  • Big pipe - shared by Scarry and the goldspotted (which is great as the engineer will cleanup after the messy eel)
  • Small pipe - Banded
  • Middle back wall burrow - shared by Picky and the snowflake.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad came over and insulted my tank "Apart from the orange wrasse there is no color in here."
How you can say that with a magnificent fox IDK but I am still considering an angelfish or new wrasse thanks to him. Any suggestions @Petcrazyson and @i cant think?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad came over and insulted my tank "Apart from the orange wrasse there is no color in here."
How you can say that with a magnificent fox IDK but I am still considering an angelfish or new wrasse thanks to him. Any suggestions @Petcrazyson and @i cant think?
Well… you know my reply already ;)
Throw in a medium sized Angel! Nothing screams colour more than these guys do.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… you know my reply already ;)
Throw in a medium sized Angel! Nothing screams colour more than these guys do.
Yeah? You're okay with me copying? You obviously got the best angel. Then the question is to I get a baby CB or a juvenile/sub-adult WC?

I've also been tempted by a Novaculichthys or a Thalassoma?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah? You're okay with me copying? You obviously got the best angel. Then the question is to I get a baby CB or a juvenile/sub-adult WC?

I've also been tempted by a Novaculichthys or a Thalassoma?
I wouldn’t do a Novaculichthys or a Thalassoma personally however you could do a larger halichoeres like Melasmopomus.

And I’d personally grab a WC juvenile/Sun-adult as the CB specimens are just a bit too small currently. They seem smaller than the YTs are, but also if you get one similarly sized as mine it’s likely you’ll have a maturing fish sooner that won’t even be close to its lifespan ending. I’m hoping I get get Atleast 15 years out of mine (and if I keep my husbandry up and have room for the 4’ if not 5-6’ in my next home, I should be able to get a good few years out of the regal).

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to give it to @i cant think and say get a Regal lol. If you can get a Red Sea one. Yk if it were me, I’d tell you to get a Bandit Angel, but it may be a little out of the budget lol. Regal has got my vote! Although, if you feel a little more risky ;), my all time favorite angelfish may add some color: Blue Line Angelfish! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Now that has 10 of my votes!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if the name doesn’t intrigue you, well, pls enjoy this video

Videos give these guys no justice! Have you ever seen one in person? I saw a juvenile and oh my god, if I had to pick a different Angel this would’ve been my second choice.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a Novaculichthys or a Thalassoma personally however you could do a larger halichoeres like Melasmopomus.

And I’d personally grab a WC juvenile/Sun-adult as the CB specimens are just a bit too small currently. They seem smaller than the YTs are, but also if you get one similarly sized as mine it’s likely you’ll have a maturing fish sooner that won’t even be close to its lifespan ending. I’m hoping I get get Atleast 15 years out of mine (and if I keep my husbandry up and have room for the 4’ if not 5-6’ in my next home, I should be able to get a good few years out of the regal).
Yeah that sounds good. It is such a beautiful angel. Biota toys to sell the newborns as a way to experience all life stages/patterns but I do prefer the juvenile colors to the younger and more fragile.
I doubt I can add another halichoeres with the melanarus, it did not like the hortulanus at all. How about a larger anampses?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to give it to @i cant think and say get a Regal lol. If you can get a Red Sea one. Yk if it were me, I’d tell you to get a Bandit Angel, but it may be a little out of the budget lol. Regal has got my vote! Although, if you feel a little more risky ;), my all time favorite angelfish may add some color: Blue Line Angelfish! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Now that has 10 of my votes!
For me the blow me away angels are the regals, the majestic, and any one of those many that have the black with blue stripes as a juvenile stage.
The majestic though it is stunning also looks a bit strange to me though and the "other" angles mostly lose those stunning stripes in the adult form. Where as the regal is just incredible!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that sounds good. It is such a beautiful angel. Biota toys to sell the newborns as a way to experience all life stages/patterns but I do prefer the juvenile colors to the younger and more fragile.
I doubt I can add another halichoeres with the melanarus, it did not like the hortulanus at all. How about a larger anampses?
A larger anampses could work well, I would personally isolate the melanurus for a couple days and if possible rearrange the rock scape to help out with aggression.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if the name doesn’t intrigue you, well, pls enjoy this video

That is beautiful! I have not seen one in person.
Videos give these guys no justice! Have you ever seen one in person? I saw a juvenile and oh my god, if I had to pick a different Angel this would’ve been my second choice.
This is something that is so true of angels. The blue on many just glows but you can only capture it in person. Photos and videos just a can't capture it.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a 8” in person and I think the gif explained my reaction. And yea count all the people as my reaction lol
1672428021732.gif

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is beautiful! I have not seen one in person.
I wish I WISH I WISH I could add one to my tank! I just love them so much they are my absolute favorite of all angels. I wish I could have one! Did I mention I wish? You have got to see one of those in person. Like @i cant think says a camera can not physically capture the markings the color the gorgeousness of that fish! You won’t truly love that fish unless you see it eye to eye. I wish I could keep one!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I don’t have that fish, the reason I didn’t pull the trigger when I could’ve was because the angelfish I have now is of the exact same body shape. Don’t get me wrong the one I have now is really nice but……its my favorite angelfish and it‘s just out of my reach.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back