Effects of High pH?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a CO2 scrubber and dose additives to keep my PH high as I notice the tank loves high PH, so when I'm away and there's no CO2 in my apartment it hits 8.8 at it's peak. My warning would be my tank consumes 3 times as much alkalinity at 8.8 as it does at 8.3. The difference is growth is easily noticeable, corals grow more in a few days with an 8.8 peak than in a month with an 8.3 peak. Not sure if it's necessary or not but I assume all the growth must lower nitrates since nutrients are likely being absorbed at an increased rate so I also feed my corals heavily.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why do you say that? Aeration was important to keep pH down in my tank.

Aeration an raise or lower pH, and can actually do both in the same system at6 different times of the day, depending on whether the current pH is higher or lower than would occur by equilibrium between the alkalinity in the water and the CO2 in the air used for aeration.

i was visualizing it as aeration with an outdoor line…
which is my own imagination running wild

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was visualizing it as aeration with an outdoor line…

Even aeration with outside air can lower pH when pH is as high as the OP reports, unless he has very high alk. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is 12.5

OK, that is very high. Higher than my recommended range of 7-11 dKH. Aeration with outside air will not lower your peak pH of 8.48 since it is close to equilibrium.

Aeration with inside air may lower it if the inside air is high in CO2, and when the pH is lower (near your low) aeration with outside air will raise it.

That all said, your current pH range is fine.

Are you adding alkalinity?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, that is very high. Higher than m recommended range of 7-11 dKH. Aeration with outside air will not lower your peak pH of 8.48 since it is close to equilibrium.

Aeration with inside air may lower it if the inside air is high in CO2, and when the pH is lower (near your low) aeration with outside air will raise it.

That all said, your current pH range is fine.

Are you adding alkalinity?
Nope don't dose anything. Using reef crystals at 34.5 ppt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope don't dose anything. Using reef crystals at 34.5 ppt.

OK, the demand must be very low. As coralline or other organisms start to use more alk and calcium, it will likely decline.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an all softy tank which are mostly frags. Only fish no calcium absorbing organisms afaik.

OK. I've seen soft coral tanks use 2 dKH per day from coralline, but I'd just keep an eye on it.

You do not dose nitrate do you? That also raises alk.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 2 in the article linked below shows the approximate relationship between alkalinity and pH for different CO2 levels. The middle curve represents normal CO2 levels (at least when I made the graph, CO2 has risen outside since then), as one would get by equilibrating seawater with outside air.

if you start at high pH for the given alkalinity (like the blue curve), then aeration with outside or inside air will drive pH down and move horizontal along the graph to the black curve.

In your specific question (dKH of 9 = 3.2 meq/L and pH 8.3) you are just a tad to the left of the curve, and aeration with outside air tends to raise pH (though inside air with higher CO2 will often lower it). If that same 9 dKH has a pH of 8.4, then you are to the right of the black curve, and aeration will lower the pH.

The OP has a pH peak of 8.48. Aeration with inside or outside air will lower high pH unless his alkalinity is above about 4.5 meq/L = 12.6 dKH. He has a nightly minimum of pH 8.15. Aeration with present day outside air may be pretty neutral to that pH if his alk matches NSW, but may raise it a bit with normal reef tank alk, and aeration with inside air might do either, depending on the CO2 level in the home air.

Figure 2. The relationship between alkalinity and pH in seawater with normal carbon dioxide levels (black), excess carbon dioxide (purple) and deficient carbon dioxide (blue). The green area represents normal seawater.

1662552703039.png
Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

So simply saying outside air with a pH of 8.2-8.3 will lower the pH is not always true.
pH depends on other factors such as the CO2 in the house(big factor) and the DkH of the tank water.

It‘s really a function of all three variables so to make an accurate prediction we would need all.
Likely the inside CO2 is higher than outside (for almost all homes) .

Would you agree with that synopsis or the relationship to pH-CO2- Alk?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a CO2 scrubber and dose additives to keep my PH high as I notice the tank loves high PH, so when I'm away and there's no CO2 in my apartment it hits 8.8 at it's peak. My warning would be my tank consumes 3 times as much alkalinity at 8.8 as it does at 8.3. The difference is growth is easily noticeable, corals grow more in a few days with an 8.8 peak than in a month with an 8.3 peak. Not sure if it's necessary or not but I assume all the growth must lower nitrates since nutrients are likely being absorbed at an increased rate so I also feed my corals heavily.
You have them on roids their are eating everything in sight.

Take care though sometimes the ULN systems can crash quick

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

So simply saying outside air with a pH of 8.2-8.3 will lower the pH is not always true.
pH depends on other factors such as the CO2 in the house(big factor) and the DkH of the tank water.

It‘s really a function of all three variables so to make an accurate prediction we would need all.
Likely the inside CO2 is higher than outside (for almost all homes) .

Would you agree with that synopsis or the relationship to pH-CO2- Alk?

Simply put, pH is determined mathematically by the CO2 in the water and the carbonate alkalinity.

if the water is deficient in CO2 relative to the air it is being aerated with, pH will drop with aeration.

If the water has an excess of CO2 relative to the air it is being aerated with, pH will rise with aeration.

Both of these situations can happen with either inside or outside air, and it is often the case that the direction of the effect changes with the time of day as CO2 in both the water and air vary.

One does always need to know the alkalinity to know what the effect of aeration will be.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put, pH is determined mathematically by the CO2 in the water and the carbonate alkalinity.

if the water is deficient in CO2 relative to the air it is being aerated with, pH will drop with aeration.

If the water has an excess of CO2 relative to the air it is being aerated with, pH will rise with aeration.

Both of these situations can happen with either inside or outside air, and it is often the case that the direction of the effect changes with the time of day as CO2 in both the water and air vary.

One does always need to know the alkalinity to know what the effect of aeration will be.
TY

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have them on roids their are eating everything in sight.

Take care though sometimes the ULN systems can crash quick

i feed the 6 fish in my tank two times a day and feed the corals a mix of reef roids/phyto/oyster feast every other day and it’s a 20 gallon Nano with about 12 gallons that’s actually water

200.gif

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed the 6 fish in my tank two times a day and feed the corals a mix of reef roids/phyto/oyster feast every other day and it’s a 20 gallon Nano with about 12 gallons that’s actually water

200.gif
That’s a lot of consumption on such a small system

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back