Effects of using only blue LED's

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does it mean when the tips of my Hammer coral are not solid green or some are not green at all?

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it always like this? or did it change with different lights

Bill
Not sure it was always like that, but it has been for as long as I can remember. I got it with 4 heads and I think it has a total of 10 or 12 now. I have separated a couple.
But I have added an additional T5 actinic bulb and it has not seemed to have cause any changes.

tbert33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.

I also love the look that more blues give to an aquarium. Im not that great with working out par rates and kelvins etc so im wondering if someone can advise if my current light set up can afford me run mainly blues with a little whites (the blues and whites are on seperate channels). Here is a picture of my led positioning. All LEDs are bridgelux.
uploadfromtaptalk1395946398032.jpg

Also would SPS survive ok with majority blues and minimal whites?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it was always like that, but it has been for as long as I can remember. I got it with 4 heads and I think it has a total of 10 or 12 now. I have separated a couple.
But I have added an additional T5 actinic bulb and it has not seemed to have cause any changes.

If its growing your doing well.

I have a few Euphyllia that for the most part offer a boring colour.

I did pay top dollar for a bi coloured one that is simply awesome.

My personal experience is LPS do not change colour. Yes they do look different under actinic v daylight lighting.

SPS on the on the other hand can radically change colour (create pigments). This can be a very good thing or it can be a bad thing as a once colourful specimen decides its more happy being a boring brown. It really depends on the sub species on how it will react to different lighting...

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.

I also love the look that more blues give to an aquarium. Im not that great with working out par rates and kelvins etc so im wondering if someone can advise if my current light set up can afford me run mainly blues with a little whites (the blues and whites are on seperate channels). Here is a picture of my led positioning. All LEDs are bridgelux.
uploadfromtaptalk1395946398032.jpg

Also would SPS survive ok with majority blues and minimal whites?

Without a PAR measurement its hard to say.

You have numerous variables.

-The quality of the Bridgelux knockoffs
-Their drive current
-The optics

That said your primary grow is 420-460nm. If thing are growing with the whites dialed back your fine.

Bill

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say that I have never tried the Radion on my reef (I like my LEDs best) but have compared it over other reef tanks.

That said they use quality LEDs and my mix of binned LEDs have also given great results...

Growth is simply the Royal Blue and the Violet 420-460nm...Everything else in their programming is looks. Most LFS with their fixture have the Royal Blue and UV(410-430nm) Max and tweak the rest for looks.

After growth is covered looks is like the bar question "who is hotter?...Ginger or Mary Ann..."

Its personal preference and a lot depends on the type of coral

Bill
MaryAnn was hotter. No contest.

I'm going all blue.

videosilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say that I have never tried the Radion on my reef (I like my LEDs best) but have compared it over other reef tanks.

That said they use quality LEDs and my mix of binned LEDs have also given great results...

Growth is simply the Royal Blue and the Violet 420-460nm...Everything else in their programming is looks. Most LFS with their fixture have the Royal Blue and UV(410-430nm) Max and tweak the rest for looks.

After growth is covered looks is like the bar question "who is hotter?...Ginger or Mary Ann..."

Its personal preference and a lot depends on the type of coral

Bill

Hands its GINGER ! But Mary Ann has that HOT farmers daughter thing going for her. You would have to be OVER 4- to know and understand that.

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its growing your doing well.

I have a few Euphyllia that for the most part offer a boring colour.

I did pay top dollar for a bi coloured one that is simply awesome.

My personal experience is LPS do not change colour. Yes they do look different under actinic v daylight lighting.

SPS on the on the other hand can radically change colour (create pigments). This can be a very good thing or it can be a bad thing as a once colourful specimen decides its more happy being a boring brown. It really depends on the sub species on how it will react to different lighting...
I bought some reddish scans and over time in my tank green/yellow has grown in. The 1st pic is with less blue lights on but you can see the progression.
5efdb11c934ad2af6820d9a621bfcfaa.jpg
54fa94a712521cfe11fbb9419822914f.jpg
e130bda1c2ad95a7e57e2785cf5384ab.jpg

townjas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some reddish scans and over time in my tank green/yellow has grown in. The 1st pic is with less blue lights on but you can see the progression.
5efdb11c934ad2af6820d9a621bfcfaa.jpg
54fa94a712521cfe11fbb9419822914f.jpg
e130bda1c2ad95a7e57e2785cf5384ab.jpg
I almost lost them due to me getting lazy, but I am back up to 7 or 7 heads

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a great thread. I'm really enjoying the lighter blue of 465 nm. The 450 nm royal blue is really really really deep blue... my 420 nm don't look very bright at all....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back