Eheim compacton 300 pump for D&D COMPLETE 20W UV sterilizer?

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. At the suggestion of my lfs I set up my D-D complete 20W UV steriliser a few weeks ago in an attempt to defeat the dino problem identified in my small Red sea Max Nano, which has been running for 8 months now. My lfs looked through the microscope & identified ostreopsis . They recommended an Eheim compacton 300 pump to use with the unit. All had been running okay until the last few days, when I have realised the pump has stopped working. I had it apart yesterday & a small bristle worm came out & it started working again. I have noticed again this morning the pump has stopped… I can’t see anything inside the impeller housing so not sure what the problem is. Could it be the pump is not powerful enough ? The UV Sterilizer is set up by the side of the tank as I don’t have a cabinet underneath housing sump etc. I will attach a photo of setup… I appreciate it’s not the most attractive but I have got it to do the job required. i would appreciate any thoughts/ideas/help. Thanks
24A36DB7-83A2-4890-90FA-6C0CF120BC92.jpeg
24A36DB7-83A2-4890-90FA-6C0CF120BC92.jpeg 56

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. At the suggestion of my lfs I set up my D-D complete 20W UV steriliser a few weeks ago in an attempt to defeat the dino problem identified in my small Red sea Max Nano, which has been running for 8 months now. My lfs looked through the microscope & identified ostreopsis . They recommended an Eheim compacton 300 pump to use with the unit. All had been running okay until the last few days, when I have realised the pump has stopped working. I had it apart yesterday & a small bristle worm came out & it started working again. I have noticed again this morning the pump has stopped… I can’t see anything inside the impeller housing so not sure what the problem is. Could it be the pump is not powerful enough ? The UV Sterilizer is set up by the side of the tank as I don’t have a cabinet underneath housing sump etc. I will attach a photo of setup… I appreciate it’s not the most attractive but I have got it to do the job required. i would appreciate any thoughts/ideas/help. Thanks
24A36DB7-83A2-4890-90FA-6C0CF120BC92.jpeg 56
Where is the pump inlet tubing end? I wonder if it is sucking up sand. The pump might need a thorough clean to remove tramped sand particles. Just a guess though.

OP
OP
Louisethenewbie

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the pump inlet tubing end? I wonder if it is sucking up sand. The pump might need a thorough clean to remove tramped sand particles. Just a guess though.
The pump inlet pipe is lying a bit above the sand bed. i’ve cleaned everything out & there wasn’t much sand/debris & the impeller is spinning again. Because of the limited space in the Red Sea Max Nano it was always going to be a challenge for enough space to set this up but I think it’s working okay so long as the pump doesn’t keep stopping. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it now & hope the dino’s are gradually suppressed.
6DE2ECDD-93B3-4C06-8B01-748CD9F0A50F.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump inlet pipe is lying a bit above the sand bed. i’ve cleaned everything out & there wasn’t much sand/debris & the impeller is spinning again. Because of the limited space in the Red Sea Max Nano it was always going to be a challenge for enough space to set this up but I think it’s working okay so long as the pump doesn’t keep stopping. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it now & hope the dino’s are gradually suppressed.
6DE2ECDD-93B3-4C06-8B01-748CD9F0A50F.jpeg
That is pretty close to the sand. Would not take much of a disturbance to get sand up to the intake. Also, sometimes when a pump stalls it won’t restart. This I have seen on what might be classified as cheap powerheads. It is just the nature of the pump.

OP
OP
Louisethenewbie

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. I just went on advice from my lfs regarding which pump for the UV sterilizer. It’s working for now & I shall keep a close eye on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back