Eibli/ Red stripped angelfish questions and discussion

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how probable are they to be reef safe.
Feel free to talk about your experience and opinions about this angelfish and other dwarf angels.

download.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few dwarf angels that are closely related enough to hybridize, and they are infamous coral eaters:
Half black
Eiblii
Lemonpeel
There might be a couple others.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went back to LFS. He nipped at Gorgonians, Zoas, Acros. Anything with small polyps was fair game. Everything was closed up tight. Fortunately after he was removed everything came back. "Reef Safe With Caution" HA!

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to talk about your experience and opinions about this angelfish and other dwarf angels.

download.jpeg
The Eibli angelfish belongs to the Flavissima complex, and within the family of dwarf angels they are the most likely to disturb fleshy corals such as lps, feather dusters and other soft corals. This is not a rule as such, there are exceptions but mostly you can have problems, you can try feeding the fish a wide variety of foods during quarantine to try to reduce the risk when it enters the main tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few dwarf angels that are closely related enough to hybridize, and they are infamous coral eaters:
Half black
Eiblii
Lemonpeel
There might be a couple others.
I believe you’re also missing Heraldi and cocosensis although I don’t believe these guys hybridise withy the other 3 but they are closely related.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

download.jpeg
If you like the fish I’d say grab him. You can work around them with coral, I have a multitude of RSWC fish in my reef and they work because I don’t get coral I know will be nipped and killed by the stress.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the fish I’d say grab him. You can work around them with coral, I have a multitude of RSWC fish in my reef and they work because I don’t get coral I know will be nipped and killed by the stress.
I can't really take any chance or work around it. I have a few rare lps and mushrooms I would rather have than any fish.
I appreciate all the information everybody has. It is all quite interesting.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really take any chance or work around it. I have a few rare lps and mushrooms I would rather have than any fish.
I appreciate all the information everybody has. It is all quite interesting.
What LPS are there specifically?
Only certain LPS are nipped most often by these guys.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

download.jpeg
Got rid of mine due to nipping on softies and xenia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a hammer.
Hammers are left alone by almost every RSWC fish. They’re not fleshy enough to be seen as Sponges IME.
Yes, I find that the reason angels are nipping LPS is due to them looking like their natural diet (Sponges) and also possibly due to them not being fed enough. I know my angels only nip my duncan because I can’t keep up with 2x a day feedings.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers are left alone by almost every RSWC fish. They’re not fleshy enough to be seen as Sponges IME.
Yes, I find that the reason angels are nipping LPS is due to them looking like their natural diet (Sponges) and also possibly due to them not being fed enough. I know my angels only nip my duncan because I can’t keep up with 2x a day feedings.
I have plans to also add torches. Would they also go after them?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re also missing Heraldi and cocosensis although I don’t believe these guys hybridise withy the other 3 but they are closely related.
It seems to me that in no way can there be a hybrid between these two guys since C. heraldi belongs to the bicolor complex and although they may coincide in geographical regions, I highly doubt it. C.cocosensis could do so if it coincided in location with any of the members of the complex.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that in no way can there be a hybrid between these two guys since C. heraldi belongs to the bicolor complex and although they may coincide in geographical regions, I highly doubt it. C.cocosensis could do so if it coincided in location with any of the members of the complex.
Knowing some of the breeders it’s likely they would try to cause hybrids between some of these angels (Whether they’d be successful or not is questionable as there are fish that aren’t in the same complex that can hybridise such as many of the flasher wrasses)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans to also add torches. Would they also go after them?
Torches are another that are safe, I have my Pomacanthus navarchus and Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens in with a 15 headed hammer, a Wall Frammer and a Hellfire Torch.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing some of the breeders it’s likely they would try to cause hybrids between some of these angels (Whether they’d be successful or not is questionable as there are fish that aren’t in the same complex that can hybridise such as many of the flasher wrasses)
Sorry for the late reply, that would be interesting, but naturally it seems to me that it would not be possible. Although otherwise it would still be curious to see, I immediately remembered a hybrid of bali aquarich that came out a while ago but apparently lost track of it:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, that would be interesting, but naturally it seems to me that it would not be possible. Although otherwise it would still be curious to see, I immediately remembered a hybrid of bali aquarich that came out a while ago but apparently lost track of it:

I remember the Joc x Bicolour hybrid as that was rather big if I remember correctly.
I didn’t know they did a Vroliki x Flavissimus though.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know they did a Vroliki x Flavissimus though.
These fish have been available on several occasions for sure, they are not too expensive at least in my experience, years ago they were regularly available on the QM lists, when one of the suppliers here in Mexico could import fish from there, back then they handled like Lemonpeel "smokey" angelfish, not expensive and a beautiful fish of course.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back