OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! My one LED fixture should do the job. I held it where it'll be when I get the glass canopy, and it's lit up plenty. :) Especially if I'm sticking mostly to LPS, which I am. Woohoo! There's $200 or so I don't have to spend. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tonight. The ammonia and nitrite are dangerously high. Guess I didn't get the rock/sand completely clean.

This nixes my original plan. I was going to move the animals, sand and rock from the 20g to the 50g all at the same time, in a couple of weeks (when I get my canopy), but these levels have made it completely unsafe.

So I thought about moving things over a little at a time. Trouble is, the levels of ammonia and nitrite right now would kill off my existing live rock inhabitants, making things take even longer.

Never fear. I have a plan.
I don't have any One and Only on me, and couldn't afford it right now anyway, but I do have some Nite-Out II from the MAX expo goodie bag. I'll use it to reduce the levels to the point where the live rock will remain properly live when moved. Then, I will begin gradually moving things over.

Part of the problem with most bacterial supplements is that they use a land-based form, which does not self-sustain in aquaria. Since I'm only using this short-term so I can move in my existing cycle bacteria, that is a nonissue.

I would wait for the rock in the 50 to cycle by itself, but if I want the system settled in before RAP I don't have that kind of time. This should speed things a touch. And no, I will NOT add my fish or inverts before the ammonia and nitrite readings are both 0, with nitrate under 20.

This is similar to what I did to get the 20g started. I'm not going about this haphazardly. It's not the accepted norm, but I know what I'm doing. No worries. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....still loaded with ammonia and nitrite. Not cool.

It looks like we're moving, too. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to work this whole thing.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston, we have a bacterial bloom!

Ammonia and nitrite have taken a dive!!

In other news....

Thankfully, the major problems of Mom's have been worked out. :)

Last edited:

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it won't be long now. Can't wait for pics when your babies are in the tank!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that back. I'm gonna go with Crystal Sea Marinemix, now that I've found a place I can order it from.

Cal and Mg are a bit lower than bio-sea, but so is the nasty stuff - and those two values are still higher than the IO I've been using.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! In a day or two I get to drop the rocks and substrate in buckets and hope they hold the cycle, lol. Gotta get everything to our new place.

Sooo tired, though...and our help is coming a day earlier than before...this trying to be ready so fast (less than 6 days) is killing me.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back