Eienna's 50g Reef

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fighting with parameter swings in the 20g, I have decided to press my 50g tank back into service and move my reef to it.

I plan for the 20g to become a refugium, housing copepods, amphipods, macroalgae and possibly feeder shrimp.

I also hope to have macro in the display. I'm going to have to hunt down some varieties that my herbies won't eat.

First, I have to get the broken 125g completely emptied and out of the way. I'm almost finished cleaning the rocks and sand for re-use. When I have the cash I'll purchase another powerhead, an overflow box (unless someone's brave enough to drill the glass 50 for me?), and a return pump. My UV died on me but I doubt I need one any more. I was only using it as a supplemental pump at this point anyway. Let's see...

I'm not planning to use a skimmer. I got the nitrate in the 20 down to 0 without one, and I prefer a healthy population of bacteria and planktonic creatures, which skimmers tend to remove. I'll be employing macroalgae and possibly lanthanum chloride to take care of phosphate, assuming there's no bacteria which removes that. I need to look into it further.

I plan on a deep sand bed, though I realize those are going out of style. The main complaint seems to be a finite "lifespan," but according to my reading it appears that if you replenish the indwelling creatures regularly it isn't an issue.

Gotta clean the 50...set it up...I guess I'll let it run with the washed rock and sand for a couple of weeks and make sure everything's hunky-dory...then add in everything from the 20...should work.

So that's the deal so far. :)

1377723742102.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it'll be a fun tank to set up, and going without a skimmer is one less thing to maintain or break. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh heh, thanks!
Sounds like it'll be a fun tank to set up, and going without a skimmer is one less thing to maintain or break. Keep us updated.
I shall. I'm still planning to move up again to a 125, but that will take time, so for now I'll just enjoy my 50. :)

I love it when people follow my tank threads and comment from time to time. :) I hope at least a few people subscribe and stick around!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your stocking plans?

Not sure yet XD
It's gonna be tricky because I need to pick fish that will be workable in that size tank for a couple years, just in case I can't upgrade as soon as I hope, but still ones that will work with what I plan to stock in the 125. I prefer to keep my fish long-term :) they become like friends.

I know I'm getting another chalk basslet to replace the one I lost to a mistake on his part :(

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got that whale of a broken 125g tank put in the backyard and the 50g cleaned and brought in. I'm ecstatic. My body isn't...I think it's filing a police report for abuse as we speak...but it's worth it. I'll start arranging the rockwork and finish up cleaning the sand in the next couple of days. :D I'm a little bothered by just how shallow this tank is front-to-back, but I'm sure I can work with it. Yayy! I get to art next. Heehee. n____n

I really didn't get a photo of the tank that showed how dirty it was, but suffice it to say that it was a dirted planted tank that was rather hastily broken down. Here's a picture of Cosmo helping me clean it XD

1378442885250.jpg

My hubby really worked his butt off helping me and I appreciate it more than I can say. I couldn't have gotten that wood stand for the 125 out without him and if he had only helped me with that part it would have taken me weeks to get the 50 in and clean. THANK YOU BABY!!!

He's also helping me out with a little extra cash for the RAP expo. I love this guy...♡

I'm wiped out. Gonna chill on the bed now with some pizza and watch the freshwater guys fight over a frozen chunk of mysis. Ciao. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a photo of what I've been cleaning out to move out of the way...and my gosh, the sump (trickle filter, actually) smelled like a septic tank...bleah...no wonder our house has been smelling icky. x.x
1378448338013.jpg

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! You got the tank cleaned up really good looks great,Can't wait to see more of this build!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! You got the tank cleaned up really good looks great,Can't wait to see more of this build!

Thanks n.n We returned my birthday present to pay some bills that got missed (oops) and I had enough left to get the second powerhead that I needed. :) I'm using the Petco Power Heads...a bit of an eyesore but they work fine and are basically silent - and CHEAP!!! :D Can't argue with that.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering some lemon chromis (NOT lemon damsels.) Any input there?
I'd not go with the Lemon, as its just like having a Damsel in there, once they get a bit older they will chase each other around just the same. If your looking at Chromis you need to look for the Peaceful ones.
Lightning Double Bar Chromis
Orange Line Chromis
Sunshine Chromis
Vanderbuilt Chromis
Blue Chromis (Chromis cyaneus)
Black & White Chromis

Excellent job on the tank. Looks very good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not go with the Lemon, as its just like having a Damsel in there, once they get a bit older they will chase each other around just the same. If your looking at Chromis you need to look for the Peaceful ones.
Lightning Double Bar Chromis
Orange Line Chromis
Sunshine Chromis
Vanderbuilt Chromis
Blue Chromis (Chromis cyaneus)
Black & White Chromis

Excellent job on the tank. Looks very good.

Okay, I will look at those. Liked the yellow, though :/

Thanks for the compliment. Stand needs a repaint (....ummm....not doing it) but it looks pretty good. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the rock in and epoxied for safety. :) I didn't want to epoxy it but I want my critters safe. It's one thing when the scape is two rocks tall, but this is something different altogether, lol. Now to wait for the epoxy to cure...and pray the cat doesn't jump in and ruin it, as I don't have my lid yet. Ordered the wrong one >.< I have to wait for it to get here, then send it back for the other. Considering using the money my baby gave me to just keep the one I ordered, as it will fit my 125 FW, and buy the one I need outright.

Loving how the scape is turning out.

Edit: Oops, forgot the photo and can't edit it in. -.- I'll put it in the next post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaand throwing in a photo of my dawg for good measure. He laid next to me while I was wiping out the bottom of the stand. He's a really great, sweet dog. ♡

EDIT: Oops, forgot the photo again.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back