OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Looks like this is gonna be a fun build.

Thanks n.n it already is. Fun, I mean.

Let's see....need to get...overflow box...return pump...filter sock...another light...macro for the refugium...think that's about it besides the lid...

I'll only be able to use one powerhead until I make sure everything's cured and safe, as I have powerhead #1 in use in the 20. Once I make sure it's set, I'll move everything from the 20 over. Should hold the cycle that way.

I'll turn the 20 into a refugium once I have the overflow and return and everyone moved over. :)

Can't drill this tank, btw. Noticed a tag on it while I was cleaning that says 'tempered glass.' That would not have been pretty.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the tank glass, usually its only the bottom.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the tank glass, usually its only the bottom.
I'm going to buy an HOB overflow...I really don't want to risk harming this tank.
I would like to know, though....how do you tell the difference?

Oooh...I'm following along!
Cool!! Glad to have you! n___n Feel free to comment whenever you wish; I love feedback (even if it's negative, so speak up if something's wrong!)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way to identify tempered glass is to view the glass through a pair of polarized sunglasses. In many cases, viewing the glass in sunlight, through polarized lenses, will reveal dark lines or spots. These are prime indicators that the glass is tempered. The lines are formed by the machine rollers during the cooling process.
Glass Solutions: How to Identify Tempered Glass from Non-Tempered Glass

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way to identify tempered glass is to view the glass through a pair of polarized sunglasses. In many cases, viewing the glass in sunlight, through polarized lenses, will reveal dark lines or spots. These are prime indicators that the glass is tempered. The lines are formed by the machine rollers during the cooling process.
Thanks for the info!!
You know what's sad? I'm not even sure I have a pair of polarized sunglasses. Need the things, too.

Following. This build looks like fun!

Yay! :D

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!!
You know what's sad? I'm not even sure I have a pair of polarized sunglasses. Need the things, too.

Yay! :D

I have a 36g I want to convert so I'll be very interested in what people have to say!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yikes...from reading the article...if this glass breaks, it'll go all at once?! Not cool. Please tell me it's stronger than normal glass...@.@

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, sand's in...looks like it needed just a touch more rinsing, but it should be okay.

Filling with water and going to put in the first powerhead soon. Wooo! :) I'm not putting any SW in until I have all or most of the residual nitrate and phosphate waterchanged out. Oooor I could add the salt and let algae grow...decisions, decisions... XD Main thing right now is to get water in and circulating, though. I'll test tomorrow and decide when to add the salt.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Missed the photo AGAIN! XDD
1378536927644.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming to the realization that it's going to be a very long time before I can go for my 125g. My hubby wants to get us moved out of here as soon as possible....and finding space for _one_ 125g and a 50g will be hard enough. I can't get a 125g reef going knowing that such an upheaval is on the horizon, either.

Soooo....I'm refiguring my stock plan for long-term use of the 50. I suppose I'm just grateful to have it.

I....I hate moving...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man. The wind just fell out of the sails here.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man. The wind just fell out of the sails here.

Not entirely. I'm glad to have what I do have. Being able to put my old 50 back into service is a blessing, and I look forward to making it awesome. n.n My main reason for wanting a 125 was to keep pictilis anthias, and I'm not ready for them anyway.

The hardest part of the whole thing is that he really wants to leave, like NOW, and keeps trying to, but my mom would end up on the street if I left her right now. We're trying to get her on SSDI but it has not gone smoothly (shouldn't have expected anything else from our current government) so it'll be a while yet. I feel like I'm being torn down the middle. If he goes by himself for me to catch up later, I will probably have to rehome all my pets, one if the few things I have left that make me want to get up in the morning. If I leave too right now, I'm betraying the person who put everything into raising me. I'm all for supporting your husband, don't get me wrong, but I can't break my promise to my mom to see this through and even if I hadn't promised I couldn't leave her like that. So it's hard on both him and me.

The fish are nearly always a sunny, calming spot in things. I can watch them and convince myself all is well with the world, at least for a few minutes...especially with my big dog lying next to me.

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this tank!! I'll be following your progress. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this tank!! I'll be following your progress. :)

Cool!! Glad to have you :)

I intended to get the water circulating today, but I ran into a snag. My power strip cord isn't long enough. It also doesn't have GFCI so that's been a perpetual concern for me. Mom took me to Home Depot just now and we got one that should fill the bill. :) I'm going to try to mount it to the underside of the top of the stand, so it can't get water in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay....

Leak Test: Passed.

Scape and Sand? Check.

Saltwater? Check. Adjusting salinity now.

First Powerhead: Check. Petco brand 40-60g Power Head.

Second Powerhead: No.

Canopy: Not Yet Acquired.

Heater: No.

Lighting: No.

Test Results: None.

Live Organisms: None.

Stock List: In Progress.

Power Strip: Needs Mounting.

Refugium: Parts Not Acquired.

That's basically the progress rundown. XD

Did I forget anything important?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back