EithelSirion's 75 Gallon DIY SPS & Gorgonian Reef

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral has started to pop tips out the vertical growth the last couple weeks, and has always looked a very pleasant yellow. I'm sure plenty of people have this in their tanks.

TCK Pikachu!

April 2023 just after shipping:
Apr.jpg

June 2023:
JuneTop.jpg
June.jpg

June2.jpg

July 2023:
July_top.jpg

July.jpg

October 2023:
OctoberT.jpg

Oct.jpg

TCK Pikachu!
Some great growth on it!

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great growth on it!
I agree, this coral has looked spectacular and grown fast since the first few days in the tank. It even detached from where I initially mounted it and fell into another coral for a day and had noticeable growth the next week after remounting. I wish the polyp extension would've continued to be so nice, but that's what I get for getting another angelfish. It has good polyp extension at night.

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to document a few of my corals with a bit more of a saga to their time with me. My earliest Acro I added to my tank, the Tyree Ponape Rainbow (Acropora subulata) came in from shipping that should have arrived on Saturday for saturday delivery, but due to a shipping error I was unable to get the coral until Monday afternoon, 3 full days in the bag.

Here is the frag the day I received it (Oct 13 2022):
Oct 13 2022.jpg

A month later, after significant loss of tissue post-stress (Nov 2022):
Nov 2022.jpg

I fragged a few small tips to save it and here is an image Jan 2023:
Jan23.jpg

March 2023:
March23.jpg

May 2023:
May23.jpg

July 2023:
July23.jpg

October 2023 (The coral was heavily shaded multiple times over the previous 3 months by corals mounted above including a Monti Cap, and had recession and loss of color due to complete lack of light):
Oct23.jpg

And here are two small pieces I remounted in a new location yesterday:
Dec1:23.jpg

Tyree Ponape Rainbow (Acropora subulata)

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This next coral I bought a small frag of locally, some unnamed variety of Sunset Millipora. The color of this coral has progressively improved with age in my tank, although the polyp extension has not (my Angel is laughing at me as I type this). It has encrusted for a long time before starting the last month to grow the first branches.

January 2023:
Jan.jpg

February 2023 (Starting to encrust):
Feb.jpg

March 2023:
March.jpg

April 2023:
April.jpg

May 2023:
May.jpg

June 2023:
June.jpg

October 2023 (this is post-Lamarck Angelfish who seems to love every Acropora polyp):
October.jpg

November 2023 (Finally starting to pop tips!):
Nov.jpg

Dec 2023 (Under Blues, and then under 50/50 Blues/Whites without T5s like some of the previous shots):
DecBlu.jpg

DecWhite.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a few pounds of Gulf Live Rock nano rocks about a year and a half ago and I remember seeing one specific critter (image in the next post) when it was the size of a dime or smaller. I added the rocks for increased diversity of small critters to balance out the tank as the algae growth with dry rock was very "boom and bust" and I figured that increased numbers of species would limit this monoculture sort of situation. My current hair algae bloom aside, this has been true for the 12+ months after adding these few rocks and even with my current bloom of hair algae, I still have a significant diversity of sponges and other macroalgaes proliferating in addition to maybe 50% of the algae being hair algae, rather than the 95% one species bloom I was having previously.

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night right before the lights went out, I noticed a large frilly blob on the underside of the frag rack, and the montipora digitata frag appearing irritated.
BFLimpet1.jpg

BFLimpet2.jpg

Because of the shape of the dorsal surface, I assumed it was a limpet but the other 3-4 species of limpets in my tank all have hard shells, not a leathery surface.

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on the whites to see if that would allow me to visualize the creature better. Usually whites show nocturnal creatures clearly enough for quick identification.
WFLimpet1.jpg

WFLimpet2.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you've all probably guessed by now, but this is an orange frilly limpet. No idea how reef-safe it is, but this creature is in my refugium until I've assessed whether that area of montipora will recover well or not. It is roughly 3" in length. Cool creature nonetheless!
Limpet2.jpg

Limpet1.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one was a small frag that didn't do so hot in transit. Here are some growth images of the ORA Cali Tort which has never had an ideal placement in my aquascape.

November 2022:
Nov22.jpg

March 2023:
Mar23.jpg

Mar23-2.jpg

October 2023 (after new placement):
Oct23.jpg

March 2024:
Mar24.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This next coral I bought a small frag of locally, some unnamed variety of Sunset Millipora. The color of this coral has progressively improved with age in my tank, although the polyp extension has not (my Angel is laughing at me as I type this). It has encrusted for a long time before starting the last month to grow the first branches.

January 2023:
Jan.jpg

February 2023 (Starting to encrust):
Feb.jpg

March 2023:
March.jpg

April 2023:
April.jpg

May 2023:
May.jpg

June 2023:
June.jpg

October 2023 (this is post-Lamarck Angelfish who seems to love every Acropora polyp):
October.jpg

November 2023 (Finally starting to pop tips!):
Nov.jpg

Dec 2023 (Under Blues, and then under 50/50 Blues/Whites without T5s like some of the previous shots):
DecBlu.jpg

DecWhite.jpg
Some updated pictures from last night on this sunset Milli:
IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral is a more recent addition. BC Vectorman, which arrived in November with my Blue Ghost frag for the contest.

November 2023:
IMG_1148.jpg

January 2024:
IMG_1149.jpg

February 2024:
IMG_1151.jpg

March 2024:
IMG_1152.jpg

And from another angle:
IMG_1153.jpg

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is sorely in need of some trimming but I've been working bad hours and haven't gotten time to do much of anything at home. Most of my R2R posting is happening during required continuing education courses lol.
IMG_1102.jpg

Here is a good example of the major need for trimming. My Forest Fire Montipora digitata, green Anacropora, TG Amber Sea Fan Gorgonian, and some runaway GSP are in a turf war while they're all slowly being shaded out by the Starburst Montipora capricornis from above. You can also notice the "frags" on the rack in the background.

OP
OP
EithelSirion

EithelSirion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a coral that looks great under full spectrum. Not much under heavy blues, but under whiter lighting it has spectacular aqua tips and a grey/black base color. Definitely a unique color!

CC Dark Knight!

IMG_1169.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back