El Kae's Bonsai Lagoon 50

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the tank has settled in for about a month, I have some time to put together a build thread. Earlier this year, I received this tank in a trade. It started life as the AIO version of Innovative Marine's Lagoon 50. Even before receiving the tank, I had planned to remove the rear section, and drill the tank for a ghost style overflow. The tank itself sat untouched for several months as I hoarded parts and planned the stand and sump. After trying out several 'methods' of reefing on my previous tank, I made up my mind to go 'old school'. This tank would be bare bottom, and filtration would be handled via skimmer. This first post will be used as a FTS thread. Some quick details of the build and updates to follow.

Equipment:
Tank - Drilled IM Lagoon 50, Custom Stand / Eshopps R-200 Sump
Lights- Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen2
Return - Reef Octopus Varios 6
Flow - 2x AI Nero5, 2x Nero3
Heaters - 2x Finnex HMO 200
Skimmer- Vertex Omega 150 with Reef Octopus Varios 2-S
Reactors - N/A
Controller - Apex Wifi w/ Trident
Dosing - Aquaforest Balling

FTS:
November. 2020
DSC01246.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial setup:
On my previous tank, I experimented with some of the methods popular in the hobby, including ULNS via running biopellets, a zeovit based system, and the high nutrients lazy method. For this setup, I decided to take it back old school, filtration via skimmer and fuge. As stated, I received this tank in a trade with a local reefer, with the intentions of removing the rear AIO section and drilling the tank for a ghost style overflow, and return. All this completed just days before IM announced their EXT line, lol. Other plans for the new setup were an aluminum stand, and custom sump. To accommodate a larger sump, I designed the stand to have a footprint of 36x24 and 36 height. The sump has final dimensions of 24x21 and 16 height, giving it a max capacity of ~34 gallons, and running capacity of 21 gallons. Through the summer and fall, parts and materials were ordered and I began assembling the tank and stand through September and plans were made for the tank transfer. On the first weekend of October, the transfer was made. I had to empty the running tank, move it over, put the new tank in place, fill it and transfer everything over.

To make the transfer as smooth as possible and minimize a cycle, several months prior, I threw about 50 marine pure spheres into the sump of the running system. About 2 months before the transfer, I removed all the corals, from the rockwork and threw them on a frag rack. On the day of the transfer, I set up a 30 gallon tube, drained the tank and moved all the corals and fish over. Things went as smooth as I could hope for. Shifted the tank over, slid the new tank in place and began filling it with water. I got the system running, and up to temperature, and by that evening, threw all the corals and livestock in. Over the next week, I got the corals glued into place, and filtration and calcium reactor dialed in.

It's been about a month now, and everything has gone fairly well with minimal if any hick ups. After the first week, the tank went through a cycle if you can call it that. There was a turf algea outbreak on the rocks but that has pretty much been handled by a tuxedo urchin and team of snails. Corals have settled in and most are showing signs of growth. The goal if this system was to be as low maintenance as possible, so I opted to go predominantly SPS. A few acans have been placed to fill in the bare areas of the tonga. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.

In planning the sump, I knew I wanted to maximize fuge space, so the minimal areas were given to fit the skimmer and return, and the rest will be home for macro algea.

Previous tank:
This is my previous tank, a little bit of everything, was always a struggle balancing nutrients, and keeping everything happy. For this new tank, I have sprung for all sps and just a few others that stayed. Couldn't quite let go of the micromusas so I have placed a few here and there as fillers.
FTS at it's prime:
IMG_2802.jpg
Build thread:
El Kae's RSR 170

Stand:
1" extruded aluminum. In hindsight, I may spring for a little thicker 1.5x1.5 or 1.5x3 with larger gussets for the stand to be more stable and add some piece of mind. This one has no problems supporting the weight, but a bump and it moves a little horizontally.
2018-09-20 17.56.25.jpg

Sump:
I wanted as big of a sump as possible, so I designed the stand to be 6" wider than the tank with an overall width of 36". The final sump was 24" wide x 21" deep and 16" tall.
2018-09-27 17.51.06.jpg

Plumbing:
I drilled the tank for Eshopps' Eclipse Large overflow. I probably could of gotten away with the M or even Small version. With the back black, you can't even see it.
2018-10-02 13.13.09.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100mm macro lens to pair with my Canon to better document this tank.
Some initial macro shots testing out the lens.

RR Ultimate OP
IMG_3377.jpg

TGC Cherry Bomb
IMG_3351.jpg

Sexy Corals Orange Passion
IMG_3355.jpg

BigR Walt Disney
IMG_3359.jpg

RR Lady in Pink
IMG_3372.jpg

Sexy Corals Orange Passion Nub.
IMG_3375.jpg

Last edited:

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100mm macro lens to pair with my Canon to better document this tank.
Some initial macro shots testing out the lens.

RR Ultimate OP
IMG_3377.jpg

TGC Cherry Bomb
IMG_3351.jpg

Sexy Corals Orange Passion
IMG_3355.jpg

BigR Walt Disney
IMG_3359.jpg

RR Lady in Pink
IMG_3372.jpg

Sexy Corals Orange Passion Nub.
IMG_3375.jpg

Your last tank was absolutely stunning! Following along on your new adventure!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. How did you prepare the Tonga branch, did you cook it for months in di water, interested in how to use this branch.

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the upgrade and your last tank was beast! I'm excited to see the progress of this new tank. Are you still using the same lighting? One Radion, right?
Thanks. I am excited for this new system also. The tank is now lit by an Orphek Atlantik V4 24".

Very nice. How did you prepare the Tonga branch, did you cook it for months in di water, interested in how to use this branch.
Thanks, I acid dipped the rock in muriatic acid then left it in the summer sun for a couple days. Other than that I just attached the pieces together with emarco and put it in the tank.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@El.Kae Do you have any photos/tips/anything about the removal and drilling process of this tank? I have its older brother the SR-80 that i keep playing with the idea of converting to a sumped tank

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the extruded aluminum stand made it did you make it yourself. If so where do you get the aluminum from

Len

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus this look amazing. I gotta check it out some day. I think you know my buddy Loyd and some other of the Endless Projects guys haha Reef related, do you dose?

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus this look amazing. I gotta check it out some day. I think you know my buddy Loyd and some other of the Endless Projects guys haha Reef related, do you dose?

What's up bro, who doesn't know TL haha! I run a calcium reactor and dose red sea aminos and acropower

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up bro, who doesn't know TL haha! I run a calcium reactor and dose red sea aminos and acropower

Lol, Mr. SuperStreet. Hmmmm reactor might be too fancy for me. Just getting into SPS in my Lagoon, was thinking of starting to dose 2 part.

OP
OP
El.Kae

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Mr. SuperStreet. Hmmmm reactor might be too fancy for me. Just getting into SPS in my Lagoon, was thinking of starting to dose 2 part.

I dosed BRS 2 part for a long time. Only recently switxhed to reactor

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back