Electric Miyagi Tort Acro - Color and Consistency Changes

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have many SPS - mostly Softies and LPS, but I did happen to get one in April sold as an “Electric Miyagi Tort Acro”.

In April, it looked very different from now, about 7 months later. It doesn’t look like it’s dying or unhealthy, it’s just changed so much and has stayed about the same size.

Anyone else have similar results? Is it a good thing, bad thing, or not a thing at all and totally normal?

IMG_8893.jpeg IMG_8894.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to have grown a bit, but it may be not happy with those zoanthids creeping up on it?

SPS take there time to be happy and get in the groove in each tank. Sometimes that happens overnight but often it can take months, even a year until the coral is up to grow weed-like in a reef tank. As far as color changes, until they do acclimate into a tank they often go browner and may change back into their original beauty once they start growing. Getting the color to come out of a colony is one of the challenges of growing sps. Even the rock stars and coral farmers will often tell you that they have one or two corals that they may struggle to get the colors out of in their tanks?

SPS is a mystery but it is often experienced as you have thus far.

Upvote 0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I've never witnessed such a transformation. Nor have I ever seen a tort with that kind of PE. Please take no offense, but my guess is this is a switcheroo somewhere along the way. I only lose track 100X a year or so on who is who.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captpetefl

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m clearly not an SPS authority AT ALL! In fact, I had to go back to my pics and transactions to even remember the babe that it was sold to me as!

Even buying species I’m familiar with (and in person) I still think there is a lot more guessing and assuming on the ACTUAL species. Regardless, I appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that first picture in your tank? It looks like the first picture was taken under heavy blue light even the frag plug is blue. The other pic looks like a much whiter light. It looks healthy though.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 in my tank placed in exactly the same spot on each end of the tank in same par and flow. On is completely green based with purple and blue tips. The other is completely purple based with green branches and blue tips. Same environment different coloration results.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back