Lower my miyagi tort?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a miyagi tort that has been doing well and growing for almost 3 months now. For about the past week or so it just doesn’t look like it’s super happy.

I know it’s getting it’s higher end of PAR because it’s all purple now when it used to have greens in it as well. I have been slowly increasing my light output for other acros that I’ve gotten more recently and need more light. I use Photone on my phone and it’s getting around 250-300 PAR on AB+ from an XR15 G5. I’ve also noticed that midway through the day it’s PE isn’t that great, but in the morning when lights are still dim it’s much better. It didn’t used to retract later in the day like it does now.

Water parameters have not had any swings and nothing else in my tank, except a new Austera (more on that later), are all doing as well as usual.

I added four frags from a Black Friday sale mid-November. A few weeks in I moved them from the frag rack to the rocks. One of them that did not like being moved was a green Austera. It slimed like crazy and kept doing so for a day or so. The Austera still looks rough but based on how it reacted I don’t want to move it again. It’s a few inches from the miyagi so flow and light are nearly the same.

The miyagi is behind the Austera with respect to flow and I think the miyagi got slimed a bit. Just after the move I noticed a couple white spots of tissue loss on the Austera side of the miyagi. Hard to see but left side of photo, branches midway up. Could be a total coincidence but there might be some causation there. Could also have been my hands rubbing it when I glued the Austera

What I’m debating is whether to move the miyagi to a different spot with less light and farther from any other coral. I just fear that moving it will make things worse. It’s encrusted the plug more since I got it but has not yet reached the rock so I wouldn’t actually be fragging it.

Am I jumping the gun? Should I give it more time before moving it?

78.3F
8.8 dKH
Ca: 435
Mg: 1320
PO4: 0.06
NO3: 5 (week old as I ran out of reagent)
K: 400

3C7FC07A-4E8D-468D-B61E-EAFF05824B08.jpeg

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait it out. They don't like to be moved.
Where did you get this piece?
Are you/they sure it's a Miyagi tort?

Thread 'Miyagi Tort' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/miyagi-tort.344345/
Got it from one of my LFSs that said it was a miyagi. They have a very large variety of frags and generally seem to know their stuff. Doesn’t mean it is a miyagi for sure though.
When I bought it it was definitely the blue-green you see in lower light miyagis. The LFS runs only T5s and purposefully doesn’t check PAR.

I don’t have a good pic of when I first got it to see the coloration but here is the oldest pic I have of it from late September.
CF5C0D00-A42C-4EE1-BD5C-C8567DB4BD96.jpeg

And from just over a month ago:
2268AA45-B894-4D47-B4A8-08462370788C.jpeg

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo from now as lights are just ramping up, blues only at 35%. As you can see compared to first photo there’s a lot more PE.

5287FA86-21AE-4ED1-A337-D7C165A26B69.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back