Miyagi Tort

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Miyagi Tort last year and while its grown OK, I haven't had the greatest of color compared to a lot of other Miyagi's ive seen out there.

This has always been more of a reddish purple with very little green in the middle/ base and sites higher up in my tank under T5's.

Has anyone noticed deeper shades of purple or more green lower or higher up?

20171216_165524.jpg

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe take away a coral + or two and add an actinic or purple plus or AB special. Change the spectrum around a little bit. I agree lower par brings the green out but so will a spectrum change.

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe take away a coral + or two and add an actinic or purple plus or AB special. Change the spectrum around a little bit. I agree lower par brings the green out but so will a spectrum change.

I thought about an actinic but it would be replacing one of the blue+ , the current setup is almost identical to when I ran Phoenix and radium mh's which by far was my favorite color. I am not a fan of overly blue tanks

I'm pretty happy with color on almost everything in the tank... if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a miyagi tort and the same question, although mine is more of a dark pink with a little purple. I need to check the light with a PAR meter, based on this thread maybe it's getting too much. Hopefully I can squeeze out a few minutes to do that today.

@BoomCorals, how would duration of light effect the color?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a miyagi tort and the same question, although mine is more of a dark pink with a little purple. I need to check the light with a PAR meter, based on this thread maybe it's getting too much. Hopefully I can squeeze out a few minutes to do that today.

@BoomCorals, how would duration of light effect the color?
I’m not sure I haven’t tested this coral. In my tanks I have a 10 hour light period.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be different than a true Miyagi. Lots of torts are called Miyagi and not all of them descended from the lineage of the original and are slightly different. Assuming that it is a true Miyagi, I have them get the most intense color under high light, but the contrast between the colors is better under lower light. The contrast can be magnified with NSWish level nutrient. Higher nutrients will bring deeper, but not as bright of colors. High light and NSWish nutrients work best for me.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to checking mine - the miyagi was up at 268 PAR under combo LED/T5s. I have a few SPS placed high up that are pale or just aren't giving me the color I want, so I turned my LEDs down a smidge. The miyagi is still under high light at around 220, but I'll see if this helps before I change anything else.

It might be different than a true Miyagi. Lots of torts are called Miyagi and not all of them descended from the lineage of the original and are slightly different. Assuming that it is a true Miyagi, I have them get the most intense color under high light, but the contrast between the colors is better under lower light. The contrast can be magnified with NSWish level nutrient. Higher nutrients will bring deeper, but not as bright of colors. High light and NSWish nutrients work best for me.

Could be, no real way of knowing.

John23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
normally they like lower light try moving it down and seeing how it does.... that could be the problem

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing the light might affect other corals, I would move it 2" lower and wait for a month to see any changes on the miyagi. Remember slow changes is best in reefing.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the lower PAR. Mine has deep purple and bright green at about 150-200 PAR.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of Miyahi tort . It’s under Radion LED light. 300-350 par. Beautiful purple color , no green.

107C1359-96EB-4D5B-9313-3AAF7519056C.jpeg

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a par meter to test but I ended up moving it to the bottom of the tank, i'll check back here in about a month so see any difference.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back