Electrical Bill

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it but even with 4 tanks running my bill hasn't skyrocketed and its been cold in the northeast. Leds and dc pumps are amazing now!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I just received my electrical bill today and it was way over the ordinary. This month I have added a few things to my tank but I do not think it would added that much difference. I currently have running

Stock 8w pump (nuvo 10)
AI prime HD (running 10-30 w for ~15h)
Inkbird temp controller set for 81 (50 w heater)

I have everything plugged into a normal surge protector. I was wondering if I’m doing anything wrong or if this is part of the hobby.
As your electric co., if the actually check your meter, some estimate your usage, not good

fishyfishyfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just always assumed my setup doesn’t draw too much due to the fact it’s outlet is on a combined circuit with everything in my livingroom and all the power is being “filtered “ lol through 1)20 amp breaker. If I was exceeding 20amps the breaker would trip. Now that being said I wouldn’t try plugging in a hairdryer or toaster lol.
Hey there I just received my electrical bill today and it was way over the ordinary. This month I have added a few things to my tank but I do not think it would added that much difference. I currently have running

Stock 8w pump (nuvo 10)
AI prime HD (running 10-30 w for ~15h)
Inkbird temp controller set for 81 (50 w heater)

I have everything plugged into a normal surge protector. I was wondering if I’m doing anything wrong or if this is part of the hobby.
what you have stated is drawing approximately 90 watts that with a 20amp current is only 1.8 kilowatts an hour. I could be off but not by much

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your electric co., if the actually check your meter, some estimate your usage, not good

We have this issue with our water bill all the time. Its billed every 3 months. Once is a while we will get a bill that is way high or super low. When i call and ask they say it will adjust next time. We Guestimated your usage. I always tell them NO Come and i read it .

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just always assumed my setup doesn’t draw too much due to the fact it’s outlet is on a combined circuit with everything in my livingroom and all the power is being “filtered “ lol through 1)20 amp breaker. If I was exceeding 20amps the breaker would trip. Now that being said I wouldn’t try plugging in a hairdryer or toaster lol.

what you have stated is drawing approximately 90 watts that with a 20amp current is only 1.8 kilowatts an hour. I could be off but not by much
In my area 1.8 kw should be little over $170 a month,

Last edited:

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats 750 watts a per hour?
All I know is my bill decreased from 250 to 75 after getting rid of my tank. That being said I was running.

Apex classic
Eb8
2 heaters 150w
2 jebao pp8's
3 jebao cp40's
Protein skimmer
Return pump
Tunze ato
2 ocean revives(10hours)
Calcium reactor with carbon doser and liter meter pump.
Refugium.light for chaeto. Forget the wattage (8hours)

I could pull up my old pge Bill's and look at the wattage. That being said after I got rid of the tank I tend to turn off house lights a lot more and watched less tv too. So I prob ended up saving 125$ if I had to guess on tank electricity alone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That does seem odd. Im running a 250 watt metal halide akd 4 t5s and cost to run the tank is only around 35 a month
Lots of places. Have tiered pricing. Meaning if you use x kWh you pay y. If you you x+1 kWh and hover you pay x times 2. If you use x + 10 kWh you pay x times 4 etc etc. each kWh you use over a certain amount can cost a lot more than the base rate. Would be great interesting to see how you calculated $35

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of places. Have tiered pricing. Meaning if you use x kWh you pay y. If you you x+1 kWh and hover you pay x times 2. If you use x + 10 kWh you pay x times 4 etc etc. each kWh you use over a certain amount can cost a lot more than the base rate. Would be great interesting to see how you calculated $35
Im going based off what my apex tells me. I put in the cost, which where im located is .11 kwh. And after a couple days the apex tells me monthly cost to run the tank. I assume it's fairly accurate, but I could be wrong :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im going based off what my apex tells me. I put in the cost, which where im located is .11 kwh. And after a couple days the apex tells me monthly cost to run the tank. I assume it's fairly accurate, but I could be wrong :)
Lol yes. I did the same thing. Then I realized that with all of the other “necessary “ things in our house we were paying a huge amount of tier 3 and 4. The price is like 5x the price for the first 2 tiers. I consider the tanks I have to be a luxury - as compared to the oven so they were priced at the higher rate. I think it came out to $200/month

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After further investigation I ended up saving around 80$. The rest of the money I saved was from a second party gas supplier I got rid of. Sorry for "assuming" what I thought I saved without actually looking at the full analytics. All I looked at was dollar amount after I got rid of my systems. I am in the middle of building a new one and will keep an eye on what the difference is. Thanks for slapping me down and making me look. Now I feel a little better about my new build.

Here is an average of when I had the tank up and running, And a month after I got rid of the tank pictured below.
c768a63d46ea6f75b22cc084d7669b3d.jpg
cfec2a761e8cc78919774a8f60998cd6.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After further investigation I ended up saving around 80$. The rest of the money I saved was from a second party gas supplier I got rid of. Sorry for "assuming" what I thought I saved without actually looking at the full analytics. All I looked at was dollar amount after I got rid of my systems. I am in the middle of building a new one and will keep an eye on what the difference is. Thanks for slapping me down and making me look. Now I feel a little better about my new build.

Here is an average of when I had the tank up and running, And a month after I got rid of the tank pictured below.
c768a63d46ea6f75b22cc084d7669b3d.jpg
cfec2a761e8cc78919774a8f60998cd6.jpg
Hard to understand this with all of the other credits that do t match but from month 1 to month 2 from approx 800 kwh to 400

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked for the last year and my electric bill averaged $160 per month. Our house is 2300 sf with a pool and all electric. The fish tank represents about $20 of my electric bill iirc.

Back