Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, delta transformers used in residential
I was not aware of any residential service having 3-phase supply.
also if you have low voltage at times, hard to be around 24/7, issues too
I don't know your whole wire circuit to garage but if you have heavy load on circuits in garage may lower voltage and cause issues

I was only referring to some homes that may suffer from lower voltages.
No voltage drop issues in the garage and no large draws.
Aside from the heaters, it's all 120v load usage and nothing crazy. Not even a welder. Just your average power tools.

No reason for the garage to have not enough power

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SS-Ride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, I run 2 hvac businesses. Pretty much exclusively service work. Briefly easing over comments here’s my input with the info available. IMO it is highly unlikely anything is wrong with the heaters. Baseboard heaters are super basic and elements don’t typically fail like that....they are either working, or they ain’t. The most likely cause is the overcrowded box, also why you’ve burned through stats prematurely if they mount on said box, assuming the stat is at least rated for 15 amps you shouldn’t have a problem with it...again that dpdt thermostat is very basic. Don’t know how comfortable you are with electrical diy or what the finished product needs to look like. When you say garage, I’m thinking fairly unfinished. They make a box extension that will protrude out a little and give you some more room, but it won’t be a lot. Probably find it at Lowe’s. If not just run a new circuit and dedicate it to the heaters. Then rip all the old heater crap outta that box and you’ll now have more room for what’s in there. I mainly do commercial so I work with Mc cable(I would not use bx as it does not have a separate ground wire, uses metal jacket as ground), and prefer it even in my own home over romex or anything else. You got a lot of opinions here to consider, just pm me. I’ll be happy to talk with you or FaceTime when you’re there. Good luck.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My divorced garage has 2 x 1500w/208v baseboard heaters; 60A sub-panel, 20A twin-pole breaker, 12/2 Romex in-wall, and I'm currently running a Honeywell DPST 'stat flush-mounted on an in-wall metal duplex box.
Frankly, I'm surprised the inspector passed this setup with so many wires inside a single in-wall box.

Every 5-or-so years I need to replace the 'stat. This is not a total headache and I've chalked it up to off-the-shelf quality.
However, this year I went to replace it and found some scorched wires in the box, and the inside top of the box itself is blackened. And the breaker never tripped!!!
Normally the 'stat would have a scorch mark on one side of it's connectors but the line/load wiring was always intact.
I'm still sick to my stomach thinking what would have happened if it decided to catch fire.

With the hair still standing up pretty much everywhere on my body, I turned off the breaker and left as I didn't have the time or tools to start testing what failed.
There's a possibility that the 'stat failed and because so many wires are crammed into a single box the proximity of everything caused the wire damage i saw.
Regardless of what failed, I don't like so many wires and marrets in a single box.

Moving forward, I plan on testing the heaters themselves to ensure they are not the cause of the failure and then re-wiring everything with surface-mounted BX thus removing all in-wall wiring from the install. This new install will include a new surface-mounted duplex box to allow for all the connections.
Here's where I need your help ...

The walls are plywood sheets with the sub-panel face sitting flush.
I will pull the sheet down around the panel and use a connector to pull BX from the breaker, but;
- will code allow me to pull BX though a hole in the plywood and then use a connector to install in the side of a 2" surface-mount box?.
- what is a proper surface-mounted duplex box to use as both a junction and a mount for the stat. I was planning on placing a blank cover over the other half of the 2" box. Can I use a plastic box and a connector externally?
- possible suggestions for a safer/better 'stat.

Not sure I'm giving enough or the proper info so ask away.

@Brew12
I wish I could help, but I don't have access to Canadian electrical code.

In most parts of the US your plan would be fine. There are some parts of the US where it would need to be run through conduit to meet code.

@Paul B is a Master Electrician, and may have experience working in Canada.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, residential transformers in the US are almost exclusively single phase center tapped transformers. It would be very unusual to find either a Delta or a Wye (Star) for residential use.

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback you two.

I'm still trying to find time to get back over there and see what needs replacing before I proceed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back