electrical question- ballast cord length

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to put my ballasts in my stand, attached to the outside of it or in the custom canopy I am going to make due to the weight of hanging it. I wanted to mount them in the basement directly under the tank most likely on the wall near the joists. Is there a maximum length I can make the cord from ballast to fixture? I will be looking at around 15ft total length I would need.

Thanks,

Paul

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of a max cord length. I mean I am sure you don't want a coord that will go my my house to rev's house. I would, then he could pay for my electricity but a 15-30 foot coord I would not worry about IMO. Maybe check the specs on the ballast.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sunlight supply puts 15' cords with their reflectors and you can buy optional 25' cords.

should have no problems with your distance...

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said before check to see if you can find the spec sheet on the ballast, it should tell you if it can be remotely mounted. If it does say it can be sure and either use the same gauge or preferably larger gauge wire to connect it to the fixture.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember Ballast throw a lot of RF noise
(radio frequency noise) Longer cords = Bigger antennas.

It can get into your Radio, and cordless phones.

And if you run a controller they sometimes can
cause you some problems with all the RF noise.

Just an FYI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the reply. I have (2) 65 gallon barrels right below my tank in the basement for the RO/DI water and one to mix salt. I will mount the ballast on the wall right next to them. I'm not allowed to have anymore of the basement, only the corner where my water setup is. My wife knows me too well and if she didn't say anything I would start taking over the entire basement. If I had my way, I would have turned the one half of the basement into a fish room. I have my den on the first floor that has my tank and desk in it. I'll start a thread when I do my upgrade. I have to go pick up the tank soon.

Back