Electricity and water don't mix (an another episode of cheap pump fails)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was reminded again this past week why I try to avoid cheap pumps. Sometimes you will feel a little tingle letting you know that electricity is trickling into your tank and other times it feels like something just took a bite out or your finger. Electrical safety around aquariums is important so be careful. What is your experience with cheap pump fails?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped my hands in the tank, and I felt fine. I asked a family member to pass me something while my hands were in the water, and when our fingers touched, we got zapped!

I had to unplug one pump at a time, and the cheap UV pump was the culprit.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case it was a faulty powerhead. I have switched nearly all of my powerheads to EcoTech and Sicce.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydor karalia power heads. I've had half a dozen and every one leaked electricity. It's one of the reasons I agree with Jay H that stray electricity is a red herring. I had 50 volts in a tank from them and all inhabitants were fine. Sure would give me a jolt tho.

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wasn’t a pump failure, it was the now recalled Marineland stealth heaters. I had just gotten done servicing a job and plugged everything back in and noticed a zap. At the time I wasn’t carrying a voltmeter on hand, so I had to plug one thing in at a time and use the old finger test to determine the source of the stray voltage, when I located it, I traced the cord back and found a completely bare and exposed cord in the sump that had been disconnected from the heater. There were two of these in the system, and the other one was not far from failing as well.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hydor karalia power heads. I've had half a dozen and every one leaked electricity. It's one of the reasons I agree with Jay H that stray electricity is a red herring. I had 50 volts in a tank from them and all inhabitants were fine. Sure would give me a jolt tho.
There was no issue with the health of the animals in this case (or any other case that I can remember). I was fine this time - I think the only lasting issue that I ever had was self-inflicted damage from jerking my hand back quickly and hitting something.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was no issue with the health of the animals in this case (or any other case that I can remember). I was fine this time - I think the only lasting issue that I ever had was self-inflicted damage from jerking my hand back quickly and hitting something.
I slipped off a chair when I discovered the 50 volts :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: no injury tho

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 100%. I've never been shocked so much in different tanks than ones with Koralias. Once I figured out they were always the culprit, I ditched them and went Sicce and or Tunze.

I've also taken shocks from T5HO wiring that had salt creep that built up over time. Those shocks actually hurt the most!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 100%. I've never been shocked so much in different tanks than ones with Koralias. Once I figured out they were always the culprit, I ditched them and went Sicce and or Tunze.

I've also taken shocks from T5HO wiring that had salt creep that built up over time. Those shocks actually hurt the most!
I'm a slow learner with a bad memory.
I still use 2 of them for mixing salt in a brute. :zany-face:

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a slow learner with a bad memory.
I still use 2 of them for mixing salt in a brute. :zany-face:
Of all of my tanks, my mixing station has the best pumps and is the most advanced system!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I slipped off a chair when I discovered the 50 volts :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: no injury tho
I'm glad that it wasn't worse. Secondary injuries can be a serious problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back