Electronic Carbon Doser problem need help...

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor users need help.
67784891_10218195204248089_4944733098412605440_o.jpg
I'm fairly new to Calcium Reactors. Tonight I heard a loud noise and found the carbon doser regulator venting from the area circled. Super cold around the vent. Calcium reactor setup has been running 8 months without issue. Any ideas???

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pressure release valve, it was cold bc of the high pressure venting to low pressure making it cold. It's like a safety feature for over pressurization. But could also be a failing valve. I'd reset it and see if it happens again. If it does. I'd look into replacing the valve.
Did you do anything the trip the valve? Meaning change tanks over pressurize the outlet somehow? Just a though... but I'd lean towards the vale

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pressure release valve, it was cold bc of the high pressure venting to low pressure making it cold. It's like a safety feature for over pressurization. But could also be a failing valve. I'd reset it and see if it happens again. If it does. I'd look into replacing the valve.
Did you do anything the trip the valve? Meaning change tanks over pressurize the outlet somehow? Just a though... but I'd lean towards the vale
Thank you. Looking for my manual on how to reset it. I didn't do anything, haven't touched it in months. Just heard the noise and discovered it venting.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pressure safety relief stem. It is supposed to trigger if the low pressure side of the unit exceeds 40 psi. Says in the instructions that ‘you should never touch it’. What did you have the low pressure gauge set to? I shoot for 10 psi on mine. More than enough to offset any CaRx internal pressure. You are also supposed to make sure the pressure knob is unthreaded all the way before opening up a new CO2 cylinder. Relief valve is cold because cylinder contans liquid and in the process of expanding to a gas heat is consumed, thus the valve is cold.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pressure safety relief stem. It is supposed to trigger if the low pressure side of the unit exceeds 40 psi. Says in the instructions that ‘you should never touch it’. What did you have the low pressure gauge set to? I shoot for 10 psi on mine. More than enough to offset any CaRx internal pressure. You are also supposed to make sure the pressure knob is unthreaded all the way before opening up a new CO2 cylinder. Relief valve is cold because cylinder contans liquid and in the process of expanding to a gas heat is consumed, thus the valve is cold.
It was set to 5.5-6 psi. Been running flawless for 8 months. The tank pressure gauge was reading 700 PSI this morning prior to the blow off but I noticed the bottle felt super light. This is my first bottle of Co2 and when I started it up I did open the valve all the way prior to turning on the gas. Not sure if a low bottle would cause this. I'm new to using a Calcium Reactor.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a CO2 cylinder gets close to empty, and the liquid is gone, pressure usually drops pretty fast. Hard to see that this would cause an over pressure incident. Might be worth swapping out the cylinder to see if that cures the problem. Might need to contact aquarium plants and ask.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE..... I contacted Aquarium Plants and they told me to try and lift and release the pin on the pressure relief valve while gas was on. While performing this test I discovered the gas was coming from the connection to the tank and was not the pressure relief valve. Simply replaced the perma seal and all functioning normal again. Thanks everyone who responded.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back