Elegance coral help!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably the hermits
Crabs will be crabs...watch close and see if you notice them nipping.

I would imagine so? this elegance I've had since the 9th of this month. I never ask the lfs but i think so?
Think about when it all started and if you added anything. Did the 60 head colony start dying after any additions?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an elegance im trying to rescue rn it only opens up in some good flow. So... try pointing a powerhead at it? Obviously don't blast it but its working for me so far.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was this elegance at the lfs? Under what lighting? Do you know if this is an aussie? Not sure that many indo's are in the market but you never know. Doesn't explain the other LPS. How often do you measure alk?

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was this elegance at the lfs? Under what lighting? Do you know if this is an aussie? Not sure that many indo's are in the market but you never know. Doesn't explain the other LPS. How often do you measure alk?
I measure alk at least twice a week. With a Hanna checker. Pretty much always at 9.1. It was under radions. And he said it was Aussie. I picked it up about a week after paying for it (online auction). Not sure how long they had it before that

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an elegance im trying to rescue rn it only opens up in some good flow. So... try pointing a powerhead at it? Obviously don't blast it but its working for me so far.
I specifically put it in a corner where it gets a decent amount of flow but not direct or super harsh flow

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had another elegance die the same way about 4 months ago. They simply shrink up over the course of a few days and then slowly waste away.
Here’s mine :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, i did a 15 min iodine dip 2 days ago. It has progressively been looking better. However, i looked at my tank now (lights have been off for 20 minutes) and it's completely open. The tentacles are short but the rest is completely open. Why would an elegance open only at night? It hasn't happened before. Tonight is the first time (i get up during the night and always check the tank)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tentacles are short and stubby, and it's slowly withering away, you might want to look into ECS(elegance corals syndrome).

I've had a few that have succombed to this, and adding another so short after a previous one died of the same, is a recipe for another dieing very shortly too.

Haven't seen ECS in a while, and it was typically from indo specific elegances.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tentacles are short and stubby, and it's slowly withering away, you might want to look into ECS(elegance corals syndrome).

I've had a few that have succombed to this, and adding another so short after a previous one died of the same, is a recipe for another dieing very shortly too.

Haven't seen ECS in a while, and it was typically from indo specific elegances.
It's been about 9 months maybe more since i had the other one. And this one was fine, then closed up, and now slowly opening up more and more each day

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, look up ECS. 9 months is nothing when it comes to ECS.

There was some studies that showed ECS effected new arrivals well after a year when one was placed in a tank that had a previous ECS death.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, look up ECS. 9 months is nothing when it comes to ECS.

There was some studies that showed ECS effected new arrivals well after a year when one was placed in a tank that had a previous ECS death.
Is there anything I can do now? And does it affect any other types of coral or only elegances?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance I've found is very light sensitive. There's only one place in the tank it will open completely and that's where it stays. Previously after tank moves I've had it set up in other locations within the same tank same lighting and roughly the same flow. I stashed it in the corner where it's getting light from two directions, and it started opening double its size.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance I've found is very light sensitive. There's only one place in the tank it will open completely and that's where it stays. Previously after tank moves I've had it set up in other locations within the same tank same lighting and roughly the same flow. I stashed it in the corner where it's getting light from two directions, and it started opening double its size.
Mine pretty dead now. Probably won’t do another just because

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back