Elegance Coral Ok on rocks?

derek12261984

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
115
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice on where to place my newer elegance coral. It’s a perfect cone skeleton so I just sat it into a frag hole that I drilled in a rock. Seems to fit perfectly and be happy. I’ve heard, however, that they should always be kept in the sand bed in order to be happy. Not sure how true this is, but because of the conical shape of the skeleton, it’s been almost impossible to stand it up straight in the sand. If it’s OK on a rock, I’m happy to keep it there, but just don’t wanna kill it. Are they OK to live on a rock? 

IMG_0765.jpeg IMG_0764.jpeg IMG_0763.jpeg IMG_0762.jpeg
 
Sand is recommended due to the coral tissue getting scrapped or irritated due to rubbing on course surfaces. If the area is smooth no issues. I don't see much probable but would need clearer photo with whites to really tell.

I will warn you. Elegance corals can go through an ugly phase where it looks like it's dying. It may swell, shrivel up, balloon, see white strings, and even tentacles disappear. Do not move it around unless you noticeably see or know the cause. Almost all mine have done this in the beginning. Unless you identify a parameter off, don't try and dose or add anything if everything else is happy. You may not have the elegance go through this but you will possibly see it act or look odd at some point.
 
Sand is recommended due to the coral tissue getting scrapped or irritated due to rubbing on course surfaces. If the area is smooth no issues. I don't see much probable but would need clearer photo with whites to really tell.

I will warn you. Elegance corals can go through an ugly phase where it looks like it's dying. It may swell, shrivel up, balloon, see white strings, and even tentacles disappear. Do not move it around unless you noticeably see or know the cause. Almost all mine have done this in the beginning. Unless you identify a parameter off, don't try and dose or add anything if everything else is happy. You may not have the elegance go through this but you will possibly see it act or look odd at some point.
The rock is fairly smooth, (no sharp edges)and it seems pretty happy. I’ve attached a couple of other photos with white light. My sand is pretty course. How long did your last stay upset? I would have thought ECS from your description. I’ve lost one to the disease previously but I had to get another as they are my absolute favorite!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 67
The rock is fairly smooth, (no sharp edges)and it seems pretty happy. I’ve attached a couple of other photos with white light. My sand is pretty course. How long did your last stay upset? I would have thought ECS from your description. I’ve lost one to the disease previously but I had to get another as they are my absolute favorite!
Looks safe there. ECS from what I have read isn't really identified as to what it actually was only theories and some to do with stressors with change in. Environment. They also don't like detritus. These corals are good indicators of to much lol. You can search for my posts with elegance and also other people's experience. They also don't like shadowing. But yours shouldn't have that issue. I'll try to post link later of one of the elegances I had that recovered with everything I stated. Lol
 
Looks safe there. ECS from what I have read isn't really identified as to what it actually was only theories and some to do with stressors with change in. Environment. They also don't like detritus. These corals are good indicators of to much lol. You can search for my posts with elegance and also other people's experience. They also don't like shadowing. But yours shouldn't have that issue. I'll try to post link later of one of the elegances I had that recovered with everything I stated. Lol
I appreciate that! I’ve read some of the literature put out about the syndrome. It definitely seems to be an issue of deeper water collection, potentially mixed with some sort of pathogen. I’ve heard good things about KFC dips and also a mention or two of freshwater dips. The freshwater dip is what did my last one in so if it happens this time, I’m just gonna wait it out or do something like a KFC dip. I’d love some pics! These are by far, my favorite coral in the hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new