elegance coral trouble

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my elegance coral has stayed halfway closed up for about 2 weeks now. it has a little slough/shed coming off of it. I have had it for about two months and it has been very happy. nothing in the tank changed and parameters are good. what could be wrong? I have some coral RX, should I dip it?

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance can be difficult long term. Have you been feeding it? Anything picking at it?

I have not been target feeding it, but I feed my whole tank brine shrimp and it flows past it, so I probably gets a little. my small clownfish nuzzles it a bit, but not nipping. it mainly just pulls off the slough and cleans it.

it is in low flow moderate light

parameters:
salinity:1.025
ph: 8
cal:350
Mag: 1300
alk: 9
nitrate, nitrite, ammonia: 0

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost some of these over the years. I leaned in hindsight they need to eat a lot! I'd suggest some rods or LRS food , some meaty stuff for your Elegance.

Also , get that CA up to 420 at minimum, 350's like walking on the edge of a cliff for SPS.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost some of these over the years. I leaned in hindsight they need to eat a lot! I'd suggest some rods or LRS food , some meaty stuff for your Elegance.

Also , get that CA up to 420 at minimum, 350's like walking on the edge of a cliff for SPS.

thanks for the advice! will do

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. Been getting in late and lights were off. Here’s the pic of the elegance coral
E0080B3C-B486-4E42-824F-D4A0F0F3401A.jpeg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your post researching for what happy elegance are suppose to look like. I did notice your chalice next to the elegance. Those chalices have super long sweepers at nights which may be stinging the hell out of the elegance. Not sure where or how your elegance is these days as this thread is several months old now.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your post researching for what happy elegance are suppose to look like. I did notice your chalice next to the elegance. Those chalices have super long sweepers at nights which may be stinging the hell out of the elegance. Not sure where or how your elegance is these days as this thread is several months old now.

Thanks for the reply. I moved the chalice and it still didn’t help. The elegance almost completely died off, but it didn’t smell dead so I kept it. It is now starting to grow back and is getting tentacles again

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a rough spot.... Tentacles are finally starting to reach out a little more. The tentacles are probably about 15-20% the length they once were. Mine took a dive when I moved it to a new tank and finally rebounded when I moved it to a lower light/flow spot in my tank.

I suspect the flow may have been too much, but it could have been the light too! Mine never stopped really opening though..... just short tentacles as you can see

D3B091CF-0E13-49CA-B208-0EDF658B6B56.jpeg

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a rough spot.... Tentacles are finally starting to reach out a little more. The tentacles are probably about 15-20% the length they once were. Mine took a dive when I moved it to a new tank and finally rebounded when I moved it to a lower light/flow spot in my tank.

I suspect the flow may have been too much, but it could have been the light too! Mine never stopped really opening though..... just short tentacles as you can see

D3B091CF-0E13-49CA-B208-0EDF658B6B56.jpeg

That’s almost like what mine did, except mine died back really bad. Half of the skeleton is exposed

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I moved the chalice and it still didn’t help. The elegance almost completely died off, but it didn’t smell dead so I kept it. It is now starting to grow back and is getting tentacles again

That's good news that you didn't throw it out and gave it a chance.. I'm a new elegance owner and still trying to figure out through research here if my elegance is happy or not.

I also don't see the long tentacles like Jon said above. it kind of looks just like the picture below for last 2 weeks.. hasn't changed at all. I stuck the middle rock under it to prop it up and out of the sand and also hope to keep critters off of it that might be walking around the sand.

IMG_4024.jpg

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news that you didn't throw it out and gave it a chance.. I'm a new elegance owner and still trying to figure out through research here if my elegance is happy or not.

I also don't see the long tentacles like Jon said above. it kind of looks just like the picture below for last 2 weeks.. hasn't changed at all. I stuck the middle rock under it to prop it up and out of the sand and also hope to keep critters off of it that might be walking around the sand.

IMG_4024.jpg

This is kind of what mine did. Stayed closed for about a month, then just melted into nothing

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back