Elegance destroyed and ate starfish. I don’t think this is normal.

The wet one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I woke up this morning and started getting ready to feed my tank. as usual my shrimp and brittle star we’re already looking for food. Normally my star will slide along the bottom and my elegance and other torches don’t react. This time my elegance decided to obliterate my star. The elegance is always completely open and it’s tentacles are all the way out, so when the star made its pass between the elegance and torches it engulfed it. NEVER has this happen, like ever, the elegance and the star have been in the tank with each other forever. I watched the process happen to let nature take its course. I only had the idea to take pictures after it had eaten an arm and the remaining bits of the star got away. I’m thinking during huge growth spurts of LPS corals they have the potential to eat something massive. The past week my KH became unstable and went from 11 to 4 in 5 days between my W/C. I dose and do everything appropriately so my KH swing was the corals growing, no doubt. Here’s some pics. The first 2 it’s digesting. The other it’s just chilling (most recent pic I had) Is this a usual occurrence for elegance?

6A014414-FE86-45A1-A3A3-97D6CC1CE679.jpeg 230A4DD6-18B7-478F-AD8B-998EB87BC8EC.jpeg E756D2DA-A8DB-4481-9A9C-09498F284B9C.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

I had a carpet consume an urchin and then spit it back out and the urchin was still alive.

OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have a snail graveyard by my elegance. They love some nice meaty snails, and if they get close enough......
yeah nems hate me too. I’ve had one eat 2 wrasse in less then a week.

OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have a snail graveyard by my elegance. They love some nice meaty snails, and if they get close enough......
Yeah the snails are normal I noticed. It’s just odd it ate something 3x it’s size. It didn’t spit any of it out eaither.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back