Elegance issue

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an elegance for 14 months. Been kept in the same part of the tank - bought with one ‘mouth’ and has grown well now having three. Always looked happy and was a real eye grabber. Out of the blue it’s come away from its skeleton - I understand unhappiness sometimes causes this but as stated above it’s always been happy. My water is maintained consistent alkalinity is kept around 7.5, calcium around 450 and my salinity 1.025. My phosphate is always around 0.1 - I am changing the media more regularly at the moment in an attempt to get this down closer to 0.03 but, as said, these measurements are pretty constant (using Hannah’s). I’ve put it in a breeding trap and this morning it’s looking great. I’ve read mixed reports on keeping these alive from this point - I only have a Reefer170 so there isn’t much low flow points where I think it will stay on its own weight. Any guidance please?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had the same thing happen. Mine ditched about a month ago. It has found a place it has settled in the tank and looks fine. I have been keeping an eye on it my plan is to leave it alone unless it starts to deteriorate and get rid of it at that point. Not that it implies anything but mine is in a 170 also.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an elegance in my reefer 170 too! Its been happy and quadrupled in size for the year I've had it. Its an Aussie elegance, not sure if that makes a difference, but definitely in a very low flow part of my tank. I hope yours makes a full recovery!

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get it to stop ‘swimming around’ for any length of time. It would be ok for a time but when I went back an hour or two later it had ‘come loose’ and I tried all areas possible - LFS wasn’t interested in taking it for nothing so have ended up getting rid of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had mine 2 years now and no issues. It was size of baseball and now soccer ball size
I provide moderate light and water flow, salinity 1.025 and temp 77/79
It does respond to light and any change in lighting, it will react accordingly

D6892DEE-D370-4F91-A083-B99C26AEA994.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back