Elegance Placement

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Yesterday I bought an elegance coral for my fluval 13.5. I placed it in the front, remembering it a lot smaller at the LFS. Needless to say, I don’t think it likes it very much, and nor do it’s neighboring corals. I think this calls for a rescaping. Any ideas where I could place the elegance coral?
774A7A53-48E5-48B8-AB74-6A494124CE92.jpeg

benkirsch07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Yesterday I bought an elegance coral for my fluval 13.5. I placed it in the front, remembering it a lot smaller at the LFS. Needless to say, I don’t think it likes it very much, and nor do it’s neighboring corals. I think this calls for a rescaping. Any ideas where I could place the elegance coral?
774A7A53-48E5-48B8-AB74-6A494124CE92.jpeg
Good lord its massive! Amazing piece you've got there I must say. I would recommend a rescape. Sandbed is always best for the elegances.

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely want to keep it on the sand bed. I would maybe suggest removing the rock in the back left corner and placing the elgance there? Not sure what's growing on that rock but maybe it could be placed on the other corner of the tank. Another suggestion would be to place it where those palys/zoas are in the front left corner and also move that leather to the right side? Just some thoughts. Great piece btw!!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely want to keep it on the sand bed. I would maybe suggest removing the rock in the back left corner and placing the elgance there? Not sure what's growing on that rock but maybe it could be placed on the other corner of the tank. Another suggestion would be to place it where those palys/zoas are in the front left corner and also move that leather to the right side? Just some thoughts. Great piece btw!!
Thanks! The piece was totally a steal at only $100. There was a power sale at the LFS yesterday and I needed clownfish anyway, so I had to rush over and see what they had!
I think the paly rock will go where the elegance is currently. The other rock (which is a Yuma rock) can go where the leather in the sandbed is, and the leather can go anywhere because it would thrive anyway. So basically I will free up the entire space for the elegance coral.

By the way, can I get an ID on this one? Is it an Aussie or Indo?

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The piece was totally a steal at only $100. There was a power sale at the LFS yesterday and I needed clownfish anyway, so I had to rush over and see what they had!
I think the paly rock will go where the elegance is currently. The other rock (which is a Yuma rock) can go where the leather in the sandbed is, and the leather can go anywhere because it would thrive anyway. So basically I will free up the entire space for the elegance coral.

By the way, can I get an ID on this one? Is it an Aussie or Indo?
Solid deal! Sounds like a good idea. Just keep an eye on the flesh after you move it. You want to avoid it scraping up against rocks or too hard pressed on the glass. As far as ID, it is probably an australian but you cant really tell by the looks of them. https://www.tidalgardens.com/blog/elegance-coral-care/ The first few paragraphs will give you an idea.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I also got a pistol shrimp yesterday, and he immediately took a liking to the paly rock. He’s already built a system of caves with sand and seashells. Will he be okay after I move everything around? Will he adapt?

jackfish520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I also got a pistol shrimp yesterday, and he immediately took a liking to the paly rock. He’s already built a system of caves with sand and seashells. Will he be okay after I move everything around? Will he adapt?
I dont have experience with pistols but if I had to take a guess, I think he will relocate just fine. But maybe see what others say

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s this one section in the flesh that is black and shriveled. Is that of concern or will it just heal over time?
BCE79299-0FDF-4E29-B89E-A3D37FAEBF81.jpeg

Also, how will I move it? It was easy to get the coral there when closed, but now, what do I do? Is there a safe way to have the flesh retract?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right we’re it is is good under moderate light and water flow

mine is size of soccer ball . You can see location in last pic

1D8F6F15-91F5-4608-A31C-84CB6E100C13.jpeg
903F7781-44F2-46A1-B70B-1A63A08C1D9B.jpeg
DCED3E49-FC2E-429A-B2E2-C72B859745C8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a nice one! I'm mainly concerned over its proximity to other corals, and also that one half is underneath the rock.
Mine is all over in A 14” circumference
It can or may sting coral within 3”. At night it does shrink down

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may move it only because I'm starting to see some irritation in the places where it is squeezed between rocks. Maybe I'll try to turn off the lights to get it to shrink, so I can move it without damaging it.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F60AC239-158E-4C9D-8BCE-810E7A308C54.jpeg

It’s back and bigger than ever! I still, unfortunately, think that it won’t last forever in my tank, and as much as it pains me to lose it, I am likely going to trade it back to the LFS, so someone of much more experience can keep it alive for a very long time.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have experience with pistols but if I had to take a guess, I think he will relocate just fine. But maybe see what others say
Pistol shrimps are great to pair with the right type of goby. They form a symbiotic partnership where the pistol shrimp with take care of the house and the goby will collect food and act as a watch dog and warn the pistol shrimp (who is near blind) of threats. My recommendation for a goby would be yellow watchman goby, randal goby or yasha goby. All three of those will pair with pistol shrimps. BTW, if you ever hear a loud clicking noise come from your tank, that is the pistrol shrimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back