Eletric torch

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my torch for about 3 months now. In all this time I've never seen it stay skinny like this for more than a day.
image.jpeg

That's a current picture and has been like this for a few days and slowly getting smaller.

I'm thinking maybe it's a flow problem, but don't wanna move him unless I have to.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeff C

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still pretty new to the hobby so I haven't bought an alk test kit yet. However, I am taking the water to get fully tested later tonight. That torch is beautiful.

Forgot to mention the most important thing. Don't know why I forgot this so I'm sorry. My tank also had a case of the Ick and got all 4 of my fish. I'm told that does not affect any coral.

Golden Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test for magnesium, calcium, alk, nitrates, and salinity weekly. I removed all my fish from my tank for 8 weeks bc of ich. I had to feed my corals regularly due to low nutrients.

OP
OP
Jeff C

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only test for nitrates, nitrites, ph, ammonia, and of corse salinity. These, have been within parameters since the beginning and tested every week, kept electronically on aqua mate. I can't say for sure that my cal,alk and mag levels have stayed in, but I've kept good care of the tank. The Ick thing was my inexperience. For the light, I have a coralite mini and feed him twice weekly with Spirulina brine shimp.

reefnfeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise not testing for nitrates and test the big three: alk, cal, and mag + salinity. If those are correct the pH will fall in line given good circulation. Unless you are seeing a lot of excess algae - I wouldn't bother testing for nitrates as long as the big three are good

OP
OP
Jeff C

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but my problem isn't with my testing?!? It's with my coral.. Anything knowledge about that little guy by chance?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but my problem isn't with my testing?!? It's with my coral.. Anything knowledge about that little guy by chance?
Part of the problem could be you are not testing for the correct things. Once a tank is cycled you should not need to test for ammonia and nitrites. Heck the only time I test nitrates is when I have a problem with corals or algae. Instead you need to test for Ca, Alk, and Mag, as other people have mentioned. Those are the big three when it comes to coral. If you have a deficiency in either of those three then that could be your problem. Torch corals are sensitive to alk swings ime. Test those numbers and post the results when you get them.

OP
OP
Jeff C

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so, I'm not and idiot and know how to test my water. I also know how to look at the results and do the proper research with said results. My problem is not my testing. I'll further my research elsewhere thank you for your time.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so, I'm not and idiot and know how to test my water. I also know how to look at the results and do the proper research with said results. My problem is not my testing. I'll further my research elsewhere thank you for your time.
I don't feel like the posters were putting you down. I think they are just trying to be helpful. I think their responses are the answer to your problem.:)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant no offense if that is how you took it. You asked for help and everyone is trying to help. I apologize if I made you feel differently. This is a great forum for help. I sincerely feel that my response is the best way to help you. Once we know the test results we can make further suggestions to help you. In this hobby you can't guess, which at this point with the information given is all we can do. Lot of good people on this site.

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch is really sick. Do a dip on it, like coral rx or something like it. Inspect it for pests and disease like brown jelly. I do not believe alk alone is the problem as I run pretty high but I keep my nitrates on the high side also. Not sure your light is strong enough for the torch either. With that light it probably best not to put it on the sand bed. Hard to say cuz the pick isn't that clear but there seems to be algae build up on the skeleton. I would gently try to clean that off too. I would have your water thoroughly tested to make sure your phosphates are lower than your nitrates and that your alk, calcium and magnesium are where they need to be. Other posters were just trying to make sure you have ruled out all fixable possibilities. Most of the time when corals go south it is due to water parameters. Ich will not effect corals unless you treated the tank and left the corals in treated water. And yes I would test for nitrates cuz if they are too low then you need to feed your corals. Imo, no one was trying to put u down but trying to give you guidance as to where to look for answers cuz there is no way to know what is wrong from a pic. Good luck!

GatorGuys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons people are asking you to test for Alkalinity is because Calcium Carbonate (measured by Alkalinity) is a very essential ingredient for coral health. It can also be consumed in the tank at a fast-rate - leaving your corals to suffer. Some corals are more sensitive to the alkalinity swings than others - and a new coral that is still stressed from the move is even more sensitive.

Until you get a way to test for Alkalinity, I'd perform a 10% water-change to help ensure your water chemistry is at least closer to optimum levels (doing the water change will naturally introduce more alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, while also stabilizing the pH).

You will find in this hobby that there are a couple chemical tests that you really need to get in the habit of doing regularly: Alkalinity, Calcium, Salinity, pH, and to a lesser degree: Magnesium, Nitrate, Phosphate. The first four tests listed are the 'lifeline' for corals. You must keep those parameters stable! Each parameter has an optimal range - but stability is really the key.

This thread has a LOT more information on the parameters - and why they are important: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley.173563/

OP
OP
Jeff C

Jeff C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't feel put down I just feel that everyone was getting away from the problem.i know how to test and interperupt the answers and if it was a simple problem of 1 thing is low then I can Internet search it. Those are some answers I was looking for. I can google that kind of stuff. Thank you everyone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back