Elevated Tin Level on ICP

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back my latest ICP results and it's showing an elevated Tin level (12.0) with no other heavy metals and other levels all generally good. My last ICP was 7 months ago and Tin was zero. No water changes since starting Triton one year ago. Corals (mostly acros and montis) generally look good, PE is fine, etc. Colors are perhaps a little washed out, but I've been gradually increasing my lights over the last 2 months and have been a little light on nitrate so I've attributed the coloration to that.

Getting ready to run some chemical filtration and contemplating water changes, but in the meantime I want to be sure I understand how the Tin got in there. About three weeks ago, I discovered that one of the check valves I use on my dosing lined had rust on the interior. Apparently the valves use a metal spring. I immediately removed it, but am wondering if that's the obvious culprit before I pull all pumps apart and start looking harder. Also curious whether the absence of any other heavy metals give any clues to whether/not that's the likely cause.

Finally, if anyone has experience with Cuprasorb vs. Metasorb or any other chemical filter removing Tin, would appreciate your insight. Many thanks.

Metals.JPG

Attachments

• 9-18 ICP.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link! After reading I got to looking to make sure there wan't another source and realized that my cabinet hinges were completely rusted. Never noticed it. Replaced them with new stainless, ran cuprisorb and poly filter and all seems well. Thanks again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back