Elevated tin?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little confused. I don't how much 4.00 ug/L is, but ICP says it's dangerous?

Trying to narrow it down.

ICP in Nov/]an showed no Sn and no Al. Both appeared in my ICP results from last week. Went thru all magnets. Cleaned and inspected both return pumps and MP40's. I added some extra marinepure blocks in Feb. Narrowed down the Al to that, which I already knew about, but I wasn't sure the new stuff still had the Al.

Tank cycled in Sept. UV turned on with Eheim tubing in Nov. After ICP in Jan I added a Aquamaxx reactor and the Marinepure. Ive removed the Marinepure now, and will remove the reactor as I really don't even use it currently for GFO.

I'm assuming the Tin is coming from the Eheim tubing, but would it take time to degrade and leech tin? What tubing is recommended? Silicone? Tygon?

Am I on the right path? Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp is an imperfect tool since it cannot know the chemical form, which greatly impacts bioavailability and toxicity.

That said, that level does not seem high enough to be a problem. Folks with issues from tin seem to have much higher levels.

I’d personally ignore it. It can be hard to know which plastics include tin, but I think silicone tubing is less likely to have it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back