EM interference throwing off salinity probe?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a GHL Profilux4 and everything is good to go except the conductivity probe. It calibrates fine, but reads super low in the tank. I've been thinking this was caused by stray voltage, possibly, but I just thought about where I have it. It's next to my skimmer and return pump. Could EM interference be causing issues here?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried placing it in a small container with some tank water to see how far the reading is off from what it should be.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a GHL Profilux4 and everything is good to go except the conductivity probe. It calibrates fine, but reads super low in the tank. I've been thinking this was caused by stray voltage, possibly, but I just thought about where I have it. It's next to my skimmer and return pump. Could EM interference be causing issues here?

A few considerations:
1. If it's next to your skimmer, there is a chance microbubbles are causing interference. I use the apex conductivity probe, but I suspect the same principle applies
2. EM interference can affect readings. Consider locating the conductivity probe away from other probes and isolated its wire from other wiring.
3. Calibrate as close as possible to where it will be situated
4. Not sure regarding GHL, but temperature compensation might be a setting to look at.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few considerations:
1. If it's next to your skimmer, there is a chance microbubbles are causing interference. I use the apex conductivity probe, but I suspect the same principle applies
2. EM interference can affect readings. Consider locating the conductivity probe away from other probes and isolated its wire from other wiring.
3. Calibrate as close as possible to where it will be situated
4. Not sure regarding GHL, but temperature compensation might be a setting to look at.
Temperature is a thing, but it's supposed to refer to the organic temp probe that's part of the system. I'll find a new location and see what happens.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back