Email notification password length

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys please remove the silly length restriction on email account passwords? It is limited to 16 characters. The account I want to use requires longer passwords than this.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The limitation is not just for fun, it corresponds to the maximum length that the Profilux can currently store for this password in its internal memory.
To change this it would be necessary to modify the firmware and reorganize the internal storage.
Why not just create a specific smtp account for profilux with a shorter password? 16 characters is more than enough...

Gaël

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 characters is more than enough...
Except it's not, since I can't fit my password! ;)

SMTP authentication is defined by RFC 2554, and the "AUTH PLAIN" mechanism by RFC 4616. The latter specifies that the password component "MUST accept up to 255 octets" as can be seen in the BNF here:

Screenshot_62.png

Many very good, very reliable mail services require authentication with password values well beyond 16 characters. For example, Amazon SES and SendGrid.

To change this it would be necessary to modify the firmware and reorganize the internal storage.
Sounds like a plan.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except it's not, since I can't fit my password! ;)

SMTP authentication is defined by RFC 2554, and the "AUTH PLAIN" mechanism by RFC 4616. The latter specifies that the password component "MUST accept up to 255 octets" as can be seen in the BNF here:

Screenshot_62.png

Many very good, very reliable mail services require authentication with password values well beyond 16 characters. For example, Amazon SES and SendGrid.

Sounds like a plan.
Hi,

Frankly, no need to waste memory space just to comply with the RFC, It's better to save that memory space for more useful things. We're talking about sending notifications by email from your Profilux, not accessing your main mailbox. Simply create a dedicated account with a suitable password on Gmail for example for your Profilux and it will work very well. For you it will NOT change STRICTLY NOTHING.
We are talking about the password used by the GHL server in Germany to communicate with a public smtp server to send an email.
The password is not even used from your home.
I also sincerely believe that there are much more priority things to do in terms of development than wasting time on that.
Otherwise you have the option of not using email and using the new notifications feature :)

Gaël

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Frankly, no need to waste memory space just to comply with the RFC, It's better to save that memory space for more useful things. We're talking about sending notifications by email from your Profilux, not accessing your main mailbox. Simply create a dedicated account with a suitable password on Gmail for example for your Profilux and it will work very well. For you it will NOT change STRICTLY NOTHING.
We are talking about the password used by the GHL server in Germany to communicate with a public smtp server to send an email.
The password is not even used from your home.
I also sincerely believe that there are much more priority things to do in terms of development than wasting time on that.
Otherwise you have the option of not using email and using the new notifications feature :)

Gaël
This is my concern with the way the email notification is implemented. One needs to supply thier email password, which is stored/used by an external server. It's a security concern.

To alleviate this concern I created a new email account that is only used for the notifications.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing password length limit is enough for the majority of users. As @Gaël pointed out, the P4 hardware has a fixed amount of on-board memory. To use up valuable resources to satisfy an extremely small number of folks wanting more, is not a very good use of it especially when there are other features and improvements that can be implemented which will use those same resources and benefit the majority, if not every user.

Creating a dedicated email for controller notifications would be a viable solution.
You now also have the option to use push notifications if you want warning, alarm and event notifications.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back