emerald crab back to lfs after 1 day. I should've listened.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
for an emerald crab yesterday and that biotch ate one of my ricordea frags. back to the store for him already. no more crabs.
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

I was worried to death when I placed an order on reefcleaners, I got a CUC that included an emerald crab, I requested a female as the are easy to sex and supposedly less likely to eat coral.

It has only been 3 weeks but she hasn't touched a single coral, went straight to work scraping rocks and cleaning the sand of waste.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, sorry to hear that.

I was worried to death when I placed an order on reefcleaners, I got a CUC that included an emerald crab, I requested a female as the are easy to sex and supposedly less likely to eat coral.

It has only been 3 weeks but she hasn't touched a single coral, went straight to work scraping rocks and cleaning the sand of waste.
IME they're opportunistic feeders. if you have something for them to eat they'll generally accept it before they go to corals. Regardless of sex one thing they're all guilty of is being incredibly strong animals and will not hesitate to push liverock around so be cautious how you stack :)

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pelagic red crab no GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly not feeding ur tank enough if an emerald crab picking at a coral........crabs are good for the reef tank.......but if your the type to starve or barely feed ur tank fish n corals.....they will eat to survive.......

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolly not feeding ur tank enough if an emerald crab picking at a coral........crabs are good for the reef tank.......but if your the type to starve or barely feed ur tank fish n corals.....they will eat to survive.......
Given that it took the crab one day to do this; I think what you are saying is not the case here.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lets see.......small Nano tank thats only a few months old........no real live rock or sand....("life rock" doesnt really count)........tank isnt even cycled yet or had time to mature and growth develop........so a sterile environment for that crab..........and corals already in that tank? Moving kinda quick.........this hobby a marathon not a sprint.......the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep...........the less you can put in it for fish corals n inverts..........

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear and certainly not discounting your story but emerald crabs that eat corals are not the norm. I have had plenty that ate what they were supposed to.
I woke up to a mushroom frag torn from it's plug. I think he wasn't necessarily going after the coral as there was some algae around there but he wasn't car ful enough so he lost his job.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lets see.......small Nano tank thats only a few months old........no real live rock or sand....("life rock" doesnt really count)........tank isnt even cycled yet or had time to mature and growth develop........so a sterile environment for that crab..........and corals already in that tank? Moving kinda quick.........this hobby a marathon not a sprint.......the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep...........the less you can put in it for fish corals n inverts..........
I have algae in the tank plenty of it. my rocks are relatively green almost everywhere at this point. I get algae growth on the glass.

and yes my corals are thriving in the tank. I've added 2 heads onto a torch. my Duncan is almost growing too fast for the tank. my ricoardeas are so puffy. my hammers are adding heads.

my nutrients are perfect level currently and my stocking isn't overdone. only 3 fish and a handful of various snails.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that it took the crab one day to do this; I think what you are saying is not the case here.
I think I just got a jerk crab. the manager at the store said he's had a few jerks in his personal tank. most of the time they're completely fine. and honestly he may have been doing his job but was right up on the coral. I just added a few more snails instead. they seem to be doing well enough as a CUC anyway without the help of a crab.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody moves at their own pace. Some people are fine waiting other people don't want to do. It's all personal preference. Both can fail and both can work

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that was likely a knee-jerk response to a coincidental loss. I've never even heard of an emerald crab eating a mushroom, and I've had a dozen or more over the years in tanks with ricordea and had no attributable losses.

From the most recent post, it wasn't even a loss and maybe the ricordea got up off the base on its own? They don't always stay put and have the ability to detach and drift somewhat like an anemone (though they don't reattach nearly as well).

You did more work than you needed to and got rid of something that probably only would help. If you suspect something is eating something or bothering something, closely observe it and see if you can actually see it happening, or at most separate them and see if anything changes before taking drastic action, otherwise you'll shun plenty of viable livestock options out of prejudice and make lots more work and worry for yourself in the process.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just got a jerk crab. the manager at the store said he's had a few jerks in his personal tank. most of the time they're completely fine. and honestly he may have been doing his job but was right up on the coral. I just added a few more snails instead. they seem to be doing well enough as a CUC anyway without the help of a crab.
you just got a rogue crab. it happens all animals are different some act normally and some want to light the world on fire thats just how it goes. I had a clownfish that i genuinely think would try and kill me if it was feasibly possible.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back