Emerald crab in Refug. Survivability

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.

I am thinking about buying 20 Emerald crabs and sticking them in my 10g sump, 1/2 of which is cheato.

I have a mantis shrimp, and I enjoy feeding the mantis crabs, almost as much as he/she enjoys eating them.

I am thinking of buying in bulk because it’s cheaper by like 1/2. This will allow me to feed the mantis at least 1 crab every two weeks for almost a year.

What’s the survivability of the crabs living off the cheato? For a year?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are going to kill eachother off with that kind of density.
Here:

Just set up a habitat for those guys in a closet or something. No point in shelling out decent money for food.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are going to kill eachother off with that kind of density.
Here:

Just set up a habitat for those guys in a closet or something. No point in shelling out decent money for food.
Gave to something to research thanks!

I didn’t realize they will kill each other... didn’t know they could lol, their claws are stronger than I thought.

Edit: says they require air.. that’s no good. He doesn’t always find them fast. Sometimes for days. I made his tank with a ton of places to hide, which is cool because he’s got to work for it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I had them in the sump until I moved them into a little 15 gallon. It was a temporary move for me

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the hookup on Emerald crabs? I can’t find them cheaper than $5 each and I’ll be using them as food source so please share!

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the hookup on Emerald crabs? I can’t find them cheaper than $5 each and I’ll be using them as food source so please share!
$5 is cheap. Inflation is coming for us all lol. I can’t seem to find any at any one of my LFS for lower then $9-$10.

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$5 is cheap. Inflation is coming for us all lol. I can’t seem to find any at any one of my LFS for lower then $9-$10.
Yikes!

When you need to feed 2-3 a day even at $5 each it adds up lol there are other options for me like fiddler crabs and shrimp but emeralds are easy to throw in a tank lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back