Emerald crab worries?

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little bit of bubble algae. I’m thinking of getting an emerald crab to help out. Any worries of an emerald crab interaction with my clownfish, gobies, peppermint shrimp, tiger conch, or assortment of snails? Basically I got a nice community setup where everyone gets along and I don’t want to disturb that. Thanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about those, rumor has it tbey can get nippy with some corals if no other food is available. Loved my crabs!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little bit of bubble algae. I’m thinking of getting an emerald crab to help out. Any worries of an emerald crab interaction with my clownfish, gobies, peppermint shrimp, tiger conch, or assortment of snails? Basically I got a nice community setup where everyone gets along and I don’t want to disturb that. Thanks.
Personally, my emerald doesnt have issues with my clown and starry dragonet. Gets along well with the trochus snails and coral banded shrimp as well. Based on my observation, fairly peaceful but do ensure it has enough to eat or it may snack on corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No interaction concerns but males are hard to trust often going after zoa and other soft coral.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then if you feed em will they eat the bubble algea...can get tricky...
i dont target feed them but as I broadcast feed my tank so Im sure some gets caught by the emerald crab. Also I cant guarantee that the emerald crab will control bubble algae (a quick look around this forum will show different experiences on this from other reefers). For mine it worked as my tank has become largely devoid of bubble algae except the powerheads and filters (places where the crab cant get to). You still need to make sure you keep up with your regular water maintenance and manually remove bubble algae whenever possible. Careful when removing, try not to burst it.

AwakenedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 7g tank and have observed her closely. Honestly she is not really an issue. She got rid of the bubble algae fast and I have never seen it again. The most annoying thing she does is run across or climb various corals. She just spends the day scraping rock and she eats all the algae she can get.
Once, months ago, I mounted a new Yuma in the tank and she didn’t like where I put it so she pinched it and yanked it away. I should have known better, it was her spot. I frequently observe her cleaning throughout/around/amongst the zoas. I hate her on them but she keeps the sand and bs from building up amongst them.
There are also 3 hermits and 1 astraea snail and they all get along. Now she has pushed a hermit around a time or two.
Also they seem smart. I use some black tongs to feed her and a pair a chrome tongs to tap and run her off when she climbs corals. Now she has learned when the shiny pair comes out she better run and hide but the black pair she frantically runs too.
I have considered taking her back to the store due to well not needing her anymore but ultimately she is allot of fun and the tank would not be the same without her.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just suck them out of the tank during water changes. Get a stainless steel straw and a hose, wrap a rubber band around the straw to create a seal when placing straw into hose. This works well on a variety of pests.

Attachments

• 20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    20210804_075910[1578].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 30

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald crab didn't have issues with tank mates, but I caught him trying to eat my gonis. At first I gave him a break thinking maybe he was trying to get algae in between or something, but the next time it was like he was trying to give them a haircut. Took him back to the pet store the same day.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one emerald crab for my 10 gallon. As soon as I got him in he started chowing down on the bubble algae. Would you stick with just one for now and see how he does?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still researching emerald crab porcelain crap and pom pom crab to finish off my aquarium.
All these reviews help contribute to my decision:)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s easy to sex them, if the local shop will allow you to pick out a female you’re in good shape. If it’s random, males go in my sump and females go in my tank. I agree with the above that males can get a little unruly. As to Gonis, I have several flourishing colonies in two or three emeralds in each of the tanks. But you never know, if it was plucking bubble algae versus keeping good Gonis I know which way i would go
And absolutely the only place I find bubble algae is on the back of snails a d on powerheads
por are basically slightly mobile barnacles and harmless and Pom Poms you might see once a week

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s easy to sex them, if the local shop will allow you to pick out a female you’re in good shape. If it’s random, males go in my sump and females go in my tank. I agree with the above that males can get a little unruly. As to Gonis, I have several flourishing colonies in two or three emeralds in each of the tanks. But you never know, if it was plucking bubble algae versus keeping good Gonis I know which way i would go
And absolutely the only place I find bubble algae is on the back of snails a d on powerheads
por are basically slightly mobile barnacles and harmless and Pom Poms you might see once a week
I hope it trims up my waving hand anthelias for me. I’ll keep the thread updated if it starts eating any corals.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what’s the way to sex them? I can hopefully see if i got a male or female

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back