Emerald Crab

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many horror stories with Emerald Crabs. I would look into Blue Porcelain, Green Porcelain, Spotted Porcelain, Decorator Crab or Pom Pom Crab. Although I do have a Decorator Crab that I'm regretting.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emeralds are supposed to be for certain algae like bubble or gha. Those other crabs listed are just for looks and do no suitable amount of algae eating, but it's still hit or miss with emeralds.

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do a number on bubble algae and green hair but once the algae is gone I feel is not worth having in the tank and loosing sleep over what he is doing to polyps. One may get lucky if you keep them fed at all times. Maybe.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never hed a problem with them. However, I don't add them if I don't have something for them to eat.

BrightReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are hit and miss- they can just be doing their "job" but irritate coral while doing so. Keep an eye on them

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust them one bit and in time they will eat zoa corals and go on to the next one. I trust the females over males if you must get one.
As I often express: I trust a politician more than I trust an emerald crab
Lol good one! I was on the fence, but you got me at "id trust a politician..."

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 and they wiped out my bubble algae really quickly. Soon after I caught one eating a $250 acan. They were quickly sent to detention in the sump. I now call them sewer crabs.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Emerald's. I have enjoyed watching them but. Just added my first Zoas and Ricordea. Every day so far the crabs clean them and make them close. I don't think he is eating them. Is it going to be a problem? I did catch one and threw him in the refugium. Should I remove them?

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would remove them unless you have better luck. I’ve tried 2 times, first time I was a couple months into the hobby (about two years ago) put my first zoa frag, it ate all the bubble algae next to it then decided to go for the zoas, back to the lfs it went, didn’t buy another one till recently. Figured I try again this time this one ate my Neptune bounce. I’m staying far far away from them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back