Emergency! Anemone Stuck in Wave Maker!!

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Cutting to the chase, nem got stuck in wave maker, I can see bits of tentacles and other matter stuck on vent, nem seems to have healed but the mysterious thing on him, what should I do? Photos below will take more if needed.

IMG_2101[1].JPEG IMG_2102[1].JPEG IMG_2103[1].JPEG IMG_2104[1].JPEG

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not that important, but how do I add the emergency tag (red emergency logo next to the title) for future posts on desktop?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have already turned off the pump and moved the anemone and remove what dead material you could? If not, do those things. Also, run some carbon.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have already turned off the pump and moved the anemone and remove what dead material you could? If not, do those things. Also, run some carbon.
Nem is starting to move into the back of the pump (where it can swivel), I'll try to remove it. I haven't tried to remove it because I don't want to irritate it more, but I will try now. Carbon wise, I dosed some chemiclean almost 48 hrs ago, do you think that the carbon will remove it or will it be fine since it's almost been 48 hrs?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is starting to move into the back of the pump (where it can swivel), I'll try to remove it. Carbon wise, I dosed some chemiclean almost 48 hrs ago, do you think that the carbon will remove it or will it be fine since it's almost been 48 hrs?
Is the pump off now?

You're probably planning to add carbon after 48 h anyway, right? How far off is it? If the carbon removes the chemiclean, your cyano comes back (assuming this was for cyano). If the ground up anemone and whatever toxins/ammonia pollute your tank... Who knows what happens. Personally i'd run the carbon. I'd also keep a close eye on that anemone and toss it when it becomes clear that it won't make it.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump off now?

You're probably planning to add carbon after 48 h anyway, right? How far off is it? If the carbon removes the chemiclean, your cyano comes back (assuming this was for cyano). If the ground up anemone and whatever toxins/ammonia pollute your tank... Who knows what happens. Personally i'd run the carbon. I'd also keep a close eye on that anemone and toss it when it becomes clear that it won't make it.
Yup!

Yes, I was planning to. What I'll do is remove the nem off of the pump, clean the pump, add carbon back, and wait until Sun or Mon to address any issues. If the Cyano does come back, I'll just do another round of the medication.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup!

Yes, I was planning to. What I'll do is remove the nem off of the pump, clean the pump, add carbon back, and wait until Sun or Mon to address any issues. If the Cyano does come back, I'll just do another round of the medication.
Wouldn't hurt to do a 20% water change before you start the carbon if you have water handy.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might use a diff wavemaker on the other side of the tank, unplug that one (I'm sureit already is) and lower it to the sand bed. I bet it will hop off soon enough.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take that one, move it down to the sand bed and turn it 180 degrees where the anenome is shaded, it will very likely move. That might be the fastest way to get it to get off.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take that one, move it down to the sand bed and turn it 180 degrees where the anenome is shaded, it will very likely move. That might be the fastest way to get it to get off.
Tried to move the pump around to turn it upsidedown, and it fell off quite easily. Now it's on the sand bed, and I'm now able to clean the pump. Thanks!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not that important, but how do I add the emergency tag (red emergency logo next to the title) for future posts on desktop?
I believe you can only add the red emergency tag under the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis section. When you create a post in that section then click on the "Prefix" field you will see it. I hope your nem recovers.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that happen; the bubble tip anemone walked around the tank (not sure why) and got caught in the overflow slots at the top of the tank and caused it to tear. Then I had 2 anemones.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can only add the red emergency tag under the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis section. When you create a post in that section then click on the "Prefix" field you will see it. I hope your nem recovers.
Cool thanks! Yeah I sure hope he does, when I first got him he was HUGE, then started to wither down close to death (might have been a parasite), then it started to come back to life with bubbles now (didn't have any before), then for whatever reason it split, both of them were looking really good up until this dummy thought that a wavemaker was a nice spot to chill.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that happen; the bubble tip anemone walked around the tank (not sure why) and got caught in the overflow slots at the top of the tank and caused it to tear. Then I had 2 anemones.
Yeah, mine was going good for a while after being close to death and all of a sudden it started to split. Hopefully, this guy will pull through!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! Yeah I sure hope he does, when I first got him he was HUGE, then started to wither down close to death (might have been a parasite), then it started to come back to life with bubbles now (didn't have any before), then for whatever reason it split, both of them were looking really good up until this dummy thought that a wavemaker was a nice spot to chill.
Oh wow, that's sad! They are weird creatures. I'm surprised at how many posts there are like yours. I don't understand the fascination with powerheads and wavemakers. I'm kind of shocked at how many survive being mangled. I'm trying to remember what some of the other posts said to do. It seems to me they needed to be dipped in something to make sure they don't develop an infection. If you don't hear back maybe do a search for similar posts. Maybe it was Cipro. I will keep watching this post to see how he does so keep us updated.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Cutting to the chase, nem got stuck in wave maker, I can see bits of tentacles and other matter stuck on vent, nem seems to have healed but the mysterious thing on him, what should I do? Photos below will take more if needed.

IMG_2101[1].JPEG IMG_2102[1].JPEG IMG_2103[1].JPEG IMG_2104[1].JPEG
A damaged anenome can kill your tank.

Remove it as carefully as you can, and then a large waterchange, followed by carbon and maybe purigen.

Happened to me 5 years ago with a large bubbletip and almost killed everything.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A damaged anenome can kill your tank.

Remove it as carefully as you can, and then a large waterchange, followed by carbon and maybe purigen.

Happened to me 5 years ago with a large bubbletip and almost killed everything.
Wow, I didn't know that. Should I flush him? Or try to see if he'll recover? It seems to have been fine and its been moving around a lot. Nem was fairly small but it's better to treat it as life or death instead of seeing what will happen. I added back the carbon from being taken out for the Chemiclean, I will start a water change once I get home.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that's sad! They are weird creatures. I'm surprised at how many posts there are like yours. I don't understand the fascination with powerheads and wavemakers. I'm kind of shocked at how many survive being mangled. I'm trying to remember what some of the other posts said to do. It seems to me they needed to be dipped in something to make sure they don't develop an infection. If you don't hear back maybe do a search for similar posts. Maybe it was Cipro. I will keep watching this post to see how he does so keep us updated.
Sure thing! I'll keep a lookout for similar posts and that medication you're talking about, thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back