Emergency! At what temp do you get concerned?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are out of town until Monday and my apex is reading 81 degrees right now. We have a 180g tank that has one coral (duncan) and then fish and various snails and hermits.

A friend is house sitting and he stuck his finger in the top of the water and said it didn't feel hot. Of course that's not scientific at all. I'm ok having him put some ziplock bags in with ice packs and putting a box fan we have blowing at the sump but wouldn't feel comfortable asking him to do any heavy maintenance or anything.

At what temp would I have to suck it up and pay a company we work with to get out there for an emergency call?

#reefsquad

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there's a temp probe with a digital read out in the overflow and he said it shows 80.5
I don’t know how accurate that probe is as it is just a cheap one i bought before I had the apex.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature do you normally set for you tank? I wouldn't be too concerned about 81, but if it kept climbing to 83, 85, etc. I would be very concerned! Is there any way the temperature probe could be out of the water for some reason? That would be my major concern.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature do you normally set for you tank? I wouldn't be too concerned about 81, but if it kept climbing to 83, 85, etc. I would be very concerned! Is there any way the temperature probe could be out of the water for some reason? That would be my major concern.

We normally have it set for like 76 to 78 or 77 to 79, can't remember for sure. It's all but impossible for us to get it colder than that without a chiller. We live in Central TN and it's very hot there right now combined with a ****** AC (rental house).
I'll check if he can see the probes in the water.

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that 82 degrees is often used as a point of concern where folks turn off their lights and take other measures. I believe 84 or so is the point where the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water decreases which is one of the dangers. This is why pointing power heads at the surface can be helpful as it cools the water and increases oxygenation. O2 can be added by an appropriate air stone or airline bubbling into the tank as well. These are my understandings. Best of luck.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is Thursday when we left the house.
Screenshot_20200808-161054_Apex Fusion.jpg

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea runs at 84/85 degrees and has for a long time. It's a mixed reef and has actually thrived at the higher than normal temp. But, what you have is a large change all of a sudden higher. Is the house causing the change or is it something in the tank? Did you turn the AC up when you left?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried, order this clip on fan from amazon, you can do next day delivery for it. I live in SoCal and it dropped my temps from 83 to 79.5 in the day time. Average of 1-2 degree loss with this. I use it instead of my 1/10hp Chiller i bought that just now collects dust LOL. I try to keep my tank at 78-79 degrees
clip on fan amazon link
clip on fan.jpg

That fan seriously beat out this.
chiller.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried, order this clip on fan from amazon, you can do next day delivery for it. I live in SoCal and it dropped my temps from 83 to 79.5 in the day time. Average of 1-2 degree loss with this. I use it instead of my 1/10hp Chiller i bought that just now collects dust LOL. I try to keep my tank at 78-79 degrees
clip on fan amazon link
clip on fan.jpg

That fan seriously beat out this.
chiller.jpg

Ordered lol

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea runs at 84/85 degrees and has for a long time. It's a mixed reef and has actually thrived at the higher than normal temp. But, what you have is a large change all of a sudden higher. Is the house causing the change or is it something in the tank? Did you turn the AC up when you left?

The AC has been set at i think 76 but the house itself definitely runs hot. I had him turn the AC down and keep the box fan running. Gonna keep monitoring the apex and hope it doesn't keep rising.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered lol
We drop 1 quart frozen juice bottles filled with water into the sump.
Most is 4 per day.
Or ice cubes in a ziplock baggie.
Have him get a 5 lb bag of ice and fill a 1 gallon baggie for sump.
This in addition to fans for evaporate cooling.
85 is OK, depending on livestock, short term.

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans will help but you need something now. With you not getting home to Monday, thats the hard part. Can you control your lights remotely? Pumps? Turn everything off except return pump till u get home

Back