Emergency Please! Fish Gasping

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

The other day my anemone died - parameters stayed okay

I came down this morning and my algae blenny died, again not sure why, maybe because of the heat?

My shrimp has just got caught in the wave maker and is now dead

My remaining 2 clownfish and tiger watchman goby are now gasping for air

My parameters are ;
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphate - 0.4
Kh - 10

I did a water change as soon as I noticed the algae blenny this morning and then a large one 8 hours ago. My parameters are all above. I’m worried and can’t think what to do??

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp is currently 28, I have an ice pack against the glass and a fan running.

I have moved the power heads already for surface agitation and going to up the wave maker now

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp is currently 28, I have an ice pack against the glass and a fan running.

I have moved the power heads already for surface agitation and going to up the wave maker now
Temp normally 26

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi there.i take it you in england.if so im also and heat been extra hot lately and my tank running little hot at 28 degrees also.i got 3 x 2 litre frozen pop bottles of water in sump and replacing every few hours.got 8 bottles total.
Seems like you trying your best with fan to cause more evaporation to help cooling tank and icepack.
Maybe try frozen bottles of water in sump if you have a sump,but adjust ato sensor as water level will rise if add frozen bottles of water and ato wont replace with rodi so if heat wave contines your salinity will rise ( if choose to add frozen bottles that is)
But if fish are gasping for air then like others have said aim power heads at surface and a skimmer is good way to oxygenate the water, and as you are probably aware that higher water temp then less oxygen the saltwater can carry.
But are the fish gasping for air because of temp ? Or any other symptons as some dieseses /parasites can affect fishes gills and they struggle breathe etc ,but you have had fish deaths and anemone deaths so that probably other issue so not trying scare you,but we need watch and prepare for everything right ?
Return pumps can give out alot heat and all other equipment so if enough flow in main dt,is your return pump controllable and can turn down a notch or 2 if possible ?
Ive got hood on my tank with sliding glasses and t5's so opened the glass covers and reduced my t5's light down a few hours as they adding to the heat.think this heat wave we having only till end of week so just hang in there as not often we get weather like this ha ha

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulled wave maker out to create some oxygen bubbles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 55

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

The other day my anemone died - parameters stayed okay

I came down this morning and my algae blenny died, again not sure why, maybe because of the heat?

My shrimp has just got caught in the wave maker and is now dead

My remaining 2 clownfish and tiger watchman goby are now gasping for air

My parameters are ;
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphate - 0.4
Kh - 10

I did a water change as soon as I noticed the algae blenny this morning and then a large one 8 hours ago. My parameters are all above. I’m worried and can’t think what to do??

If you’re not running carbon or chemipure I would try some, as you said your anemone died.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not running carbon or chemipure I would try some, as you said your anemone died.
I would definitely try carbon. If it's not the heat or oxygen, then it may have been something that was sprayed into the air, but you said you did a water change, So another thought could be bacterial/ pest/outbreak. Do you have a uv sterilizer? And what is your salinity? Can you take a picture of the front view of your tank?

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running chemipure.
No uv steriliser
Salinity 0.26

I’m up for work is 6 hours

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve not the best I can tonight

I’ve cleaned the pump, there seems to be an issue with it as it’s not producing enough flow. I have pulled wave maker out slightly to increase oxygen, and cooled the water temp down

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One clown fish seems to have taken a turn for the worst and colour has changed..

Attachments

• 68B19AA1-3EDA-4EE1-9633-3C9EE943B35C.jpeg
    68B19AA1-3EDA-4EE1-9633-3C9EE943B35C.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• B74888BF-6010-4BB8-BB46-9B73302D1E49.jpeg
    B74888BF-6010-4BB8-BB46-9B73302D1E49.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 54

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back