Emergency WC having to manually move 5g buckets.... can you handle it?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exxxxxxxtremely poor planning on my part. my sump in basement, in fishroom.

My rodi system.is tapped into my cold water copper pipe. I can drain my sump thru pvc pipes running to floor drain less than 5 mins..

Problem is I only keep roughly 50g of rodi in basement. Not 180g worth

FAILURE was my inability to get 180g worth of tap water quickly to a full drain sump and make new SW in 100g sump quickly before turning main pump to upstairs DT.

A complete chaotic failure.

I'm rethinking my fish room right now to be able to do a 90% WC of 220ish gals in an ultra emergency

I'm a ...

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

We have all been there. Do better next time.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am "nudging" 50.. Not quite there, but it's getting close lol... I also have a Brute can on wheels for this exact reason. I could do it with buckets, but the extra mess is something I would rather avoid. I do drain my tanks into a 5 gallon bucket, but for refilling, I roll out the Brute.
Go on say it...you are 48 whopping years like me, or maybe 49 lol....where did the time go? Well spent, no less....

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm not well liked by quite a few of ppl on R2R bc of my personality. Some probably smiling at my chaotic day yesterday. but thanks @WVNed for your kind words
You are a treasure here.... I get a kick out of your candor at times...but yes I had a brief chuckle, and you are fine, so all good.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, sometimes I check your profile just to see the kind of **** you're starting. I wouldn't wish any sort of catastrophe on you, though. Or enjoy any failure on your part. Glad you pulled through. I didn't expect you were an old fart, though.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on say it...you are 48 whopping years like me, or maybe 49 lol....where did the time go? Well spent, no less....

LOL brother.. This December will mark my 50th revolution around the star which sustains life on this planet.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm not well liked by quite a few of ppl on R2R bc of my personality. Some probably smiling at my chaotic day yesterday. but thanks @WVNed for your kind words
Hopefully all is well with your tank. Wether someone dislikes your personality or not I would like to think that no one in this hobby (knowing how much time, effort and money go into it) would hope for you or anyone to have a tank crash, or nearly crash.

I dont meet the requirements for your question since I am not quite 40 yet, but by 10 years from now I don't think I would have a problem lifting the weight. But I am way too fat and get tired quickly. I would try to find a way to carry multiple buckets at a time so I could make less trips.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a kid but I’m strong enough to carry 2 of those at a time. Quick change then throw the water over my balcony
Also my balcony is 20 feet away

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only 40 (it doesn’t feel like ‘only’ lol), but I have some back problems and a couple other health issues, which were the reason I got rid of all of my tanks around three years ago. So when I decided to start a tank back up this Jan, I specifically went with an AiO nano for this reason specifically. I’ve got three tanks with all the equipment needed sitting in my garage (a 60, 75, and 120), but I just can’t keep up with the maintenance on them. I’ve got my current tank right next to a sink (i have two sinks in my kitchen, the island has basically become my fish station), and I’ve got my rodi and water storage set up under the sink, so I can just drain the tank into the sink (even has a garbage disposal so I can siphon algae or whatever into it) and then turn on a pump to refill it. Water changes have become almost too easy. Now I’m thinking of maybe setting up my 120 on the back of the island.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the island has basically become my fish station
Wow you must have a very understanding wife (I'm assuming you're male and married, if either are not true then sorry I shouldn't just guess at these things). If anything fish tank related sits on my countertop for more than a day my wife throws it into our utility room. Sometimes I think she literally throws them.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the rest of you, but carrying buckets of waste water is the easy part.. I only have to lift is as far as the rim of the toilet and dump.. When it comes to carrying buckets, it is FILLING the tank that the problems start.

The rim of my 55g is 53" off the floor, I am 68" tall. So I have to lift a 40+ pound bucket of water over my shoulder height, and HOLD it there as I slowly pour the water into the DT. Can't just dump it as waste water without creating a mess in the DT.

The 180 is 62" off the floor.. same issues even higher lift.

Yes, I can do it.. and I have for many many years.. but Having a pump and a rolling reservoir eliminates the need and also does not disturb the DT NEARLY as much.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you must have a very understanding wife (I'm assuming you're male and married, if either are not true then sorry I shouldn't just guess at these things). If anything fish tank related sits on my countertop for more than a day my wife throws it into our utility room. Sometimes I think she literally throws them.
My gf (we’ve been together almost 20 years) has always been into my tanks, but she’s not uptight about stuff like this, we allow each other room for our hobbies (she has an art room, and we have a music room that we both use). But I keep everything put away, there’s plenty of cabinet space. We also don’t have kids, so all of the space in our house can be used for our hobbies/interests.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I keep everything put away

I believe that is the most important statement right there.. As long as things are neat and orderly, most women are willing to deal. It is when it starts to become unsightly that they tend to start raising issues.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that is the most important statement right there.. As long as things are neat and orderly, most women are willing to deal. It is when it starts to become unsightly that they tend to start raising issues.
Not touching that with a ten-foot pole.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 57. Decent health but not in the best of shape.

I was extremely physically tested yesterday after an emergency with my 220ish total water volume system forced me into having to do a LARGE emergency WC. A bunch of vinegar got into my water volume by accident dropping pH to 6.5

Since sump in basement full of 6.5 pH water too, in a panic Had to do an emergency shutoff of all pumps. Quickly drain 180g tank down to 2ins.

I had NO AMT of any water that large in the basement to replace the DT quickly thru my sump main pump back upstairs

Thought about a long garden hose run to basement .... but have read there's all kinds of TOXIC things in "hose water" bc the inside of a hose is N A S T Y

In a panic, used tap water from garage faucet, prime dechlorinator.... and rushing 30+ 5g buckets back n forth from garage to DT

Physically carrying 5g buckets full of SW from garage to DT.... About 50 steps.... lifting the bucket high enough to dump into DT.

5g bucket of saltwater = roughly 45lbs. with a handle that wants to cut thru your fingers... Yikes!!!

At 57 yrs old, had to take many 5min breaks (sucking wind) bc the lifting and carrying was busting my (lower round things) B A D.

Any 50+ older ppl out there finding it physically hard to do a completely manual emergency WC?

This is the main reason once I have a huge tank to keep it automated once I grew older. When I’ll be this much into the hobby the wc should be done automatically. Have two large buckets of water ready at all times and just switch on the pumps one will drain and then switch the pump to fill the tank up.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, sometimes I check your profile just to see the kind of **** you're starting. I wouldn't wish any sort of catastrophe on you, though. Or enjoy any failure on your part. Glad you pulled through. I didn't expect you were an old fart, though.
I had to message him a few weeks ago because I couldn’t tell his age from his posts. I thought he was 25!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back