rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!

Overall the sump is pretty nice. It’s well constructed but it does have a couple of design flaw, if you wanna call them that. It’s strips way too much of the nutrients from the water column, that’s more due to the fact that it’s fleece roller mat system. Second, it makes it very difficult to take the roller mat off-line when you want to add things like (phytoplankton, bacteria additives, etc.) without them being stripped from the water column.
Makes sense, and honestly hadnt considered that aspect. I do, on occasion purposely remove my filter socks. Thanks for the input!

CamT223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to find something to mount the scrubber however couldn’t find anything I liked so I got the ole power tools out...
E127F757-0D4E-4EBE-8FD8-AAD8D8F9EAAE.png

57016420-AB1A-46B8-82D3-BFED161D7053.png
This looks great! I'm looking to do something similar. I assume this is acrylic? What thickness did you use and how has it held up since you have put it to use?

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks great! I'm looking to do something similar. I assume this is acrylic? What thickness did you use and how has it held up since you have put it to use?
Quarter inch nothing special I just ordered it off Amazon. So far absolutely no issues with it holding up.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build inspired me for my new build. Just waiting on my IM 170 INT to arrive. I was looking into the 150 but wife talked me into the 170, perfect for the space it will be going into. I will be taking my time with the build as I still got to piece everything together.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefLaw, I have attached images for your review keep in mind I have a more restricted airflow in due to the fact that I have a hose running outside into a scrubber. Plus my bio load is completely different from what yours might be but hope this helps.
7B6B0D25-7CF8-43EC-92FA-0B317098D297.jpeg

1367BAB9-DA74-43E9-98FE-01F532558B5A.jpeg

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build inspired me for my new build. Just waiting on my IM 170 INT to arrive. I was looking into the 150 but wife talked me into the 170, perfect for the space it will be going into. I will be taking my time with the build as I still got to piece everything together.
Excellent choice with the 170, sorta wish I had the extra space for it, probably would’ve opted to go that route. I love the build out process - researching, selecting, installing, configuring - all of it!

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent choice with the 170, sorta wish I had the extra space for it, probably would’ve opted to go that route. I love the build out process - researching, selecting, installing, configuring - all of it!
How do you like the coast to coast overflow? Have you noticed any build up of detritus back there? Yeah, I’m excited for this build out. I kinda rushed into my IM 30 and just bought things along the way. This time around it won’t be set up until I have almost everything for it.

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the coast to coast overflow? Have you noticed any build up of detritus back there? Yeah, I’m excited for this build out. I kinda rushed into my IM 30 and just bought things along the way. This time around it won’t be set up until I have almost everything for it.
As far as the functionality of their overflow - I have very little complaints, outside of this: the slits could be a tad bit larger but I also understand why they made them a small as they did. The reason I bring this up is because they tend to get blocked (Coraline/algae buildup) fairly quickly and need to be scrubbed once every few months (not a big deal).
…about six months in and I started to notice that there was detritus buildup in the overflow, I added a couple power heads in opposing directions to keep the detritus suspend long enough to make it down to the sump and be removed by the filter paper.

2nd issue, because of the design and the structural pieces of glass back in the overflow area, it was a small nightmare to get those powerheads located once it was full of water, honestly man I am not looking forward to removing, cleaning, and then re-installing

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… The journey continues!

I’ve known about these for quite some time but, I never bothered to give it a try, modified BRS reactor and a siphon, worked almost too good, until it got clogged but, I knew that was inevitable without some sort of a pump (next modification) to pull water from the display.
A6F60557-888F-44FA-AD59-DBC5D958038C.jpeg

2493172D-E106-4ADC-801B-E71BBD0012E2.jpeg

0FE908A0-D18C-48F2-AA4A-1D48260B718D.jpeg

…that is some serious filth!

OP
OP
Tacticool-Reefer

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis sucks!
Got rid of it with a two-phased approach. Two weeks have passed and no signs of it returning.

Started dosing Vibrant about 4 weeks (every week) before I kicked off the below, note; also performed 35gallon weekly water changes before each dose. Noting see a big change in the Bryopsis I kicked off the below while still maintaining the Vibrant weekly doses.

1. Increased Lithium levels to 740 ug/l (Brightwell Aquatics Hydrate-MG), over 3days.
2. 5th day, treated the tank with Fluconazole (Flux Rx). The tips of ALL Bryopsis turned white within 48 hours. 48hrs-72hrs later you could clearly see dead pieces of it floating all over the tank and floating down the overflow. For me, removing the dead algae is a must before it can break down and release all its nutrients into the water. The fleece filter and large wather-chnage worked perfectly for this.
3. 72-hrs later, I did a 35% water change.
4. Same time as the water change, added a third more of the recommended amount of BRS High Capacity GFO.

Current levels: (had to actually increase the amount of food being fed as my levels were close to zero 0.00ppm, might’ve been an error, after the water change)
5A91ECA5-61E6-464F-8995-0D9DC261AA69.jpeg

Triton confirmed level:
1643467450314.png

1643467537165.png

Last edited:
Back