Emily’s Waterbox Cube 20 OG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update for what is next:

I’m working from home until the end of the month— I’m hoping to get in the office at least a few more times before August 1st. Whenever I do make it in, I’ll be able to pick up:
Filter sock
Filter sock holder
Filter pads
Filter sponge
Bio Balls (Undecided)
Return nozzle

On Friday, I hope to be able to put some money back towards the lighting & skimmer fund. I’m not really sure which one to get first, since they’re both relatively important pieces of equipment. Since my current return pump is working okay for now, I’m putting the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 on the back burner for the time being.

I’m tempted to make an Amazon Wish List so that when my family asks me what I want for my birthday, I’ll actually have something ready to present... hmmm...
What is this "working from home" you speak of and how do I jump on that bandwagon ;Hilarious

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lose your babysitter for 2.5 weeks like a month after you start your new job and they like you enough to let you do your job remotely from home so your kids aren’t home alone.

It’s actually been really great, but I miss being at work with other adults. At my desk. With snacks. And good company. The best, I tell you!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE TIME!

Today I finally was able to make it back in to the office & was able to grab some of what I needed for the setup:
Filter sock
Filter sock holder
Filter sponges
Bio Balls
Return nozzle

I got everything installed except for the new return nozzle— I’m going to wait until I get the new return pump and tubing, since all of that needs replaced anyway.

I’m hoping to get my hands on the new return pump and tubing around the 1st of August, and hopefully by then I will have saved enough to get either my lighting or my skimmer... but probably my lighting. I made my wish list, so once August rolls around & family members start asking me what I want, I actually have something to produce (for once).

My daughter, Lillian (3) is so very happy every time she sees me working on the aquarium. She keeps asking to help & is constantly asking questions— she’s such a curious little girl who genuinely loves animals. Really crossing my fingers that this will be the first of many hobbies that I wish to share with her.

Happy fishkeeping, friends!
I love going to the LFS with my kids and hearing them identify the corals by name. Just warms my heart.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love going to the LFS with my kids and hearing them identify the corals by name. Just warms my heart.
At least you can get your kids to look at your tank. I can barely get mine on the same side of the living room

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a HUGE update, but I found a Tunze 9001 DC skimmer for sale here on the Marketplace, so I put a chunk down on it & the seller is letting me pay the rest on Friday! After that, I’ll be setting some money back for my lighting. I also found a R2R member who has some baby clownfish for FREE locally, so once my cycle is finished, I’ll be adding my first 2 fish shortly after. They’re quite small. :)

I hope I can get my hands on some more live rock soon, too. Right now it’s all just tossed in there, so I need to get the aquascaping done soon so I can be one of the cool kids.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a HUGE update, but I found a Tunze 9001 DC skimmer for sale here on the Marketplace, so I put a chunk down on it & the seller is letting me pay the rest on Friday! After that, I’ll be setting some money back for my lighting. I also found a R2R member who has some baby clownfish for FREE locally, so once my cycle is finished, I’ll be adding my first 2 fish shortly after. They’re quite small. :)

I hope I can get my hands on some more live rock soon, too. Right now it’s all just tossed in there, so I need to get the aquascaping done soon so I can be one of the cool kids.

Gotta love some of the community members here. Things like this is what makes this place so great :)

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love some of the community members here. Things like this is what makes this place so great :)

Oh, absolutely! This community has some of the kindest, most generous members. I have been gifted so much knowledge & more. It’s just amazing.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's awesome! Same when I was setting up the new tank, a member on here had some spare hydra 26s that he sent me. I couldnt pay for them right away as I had to selly old lighting to pay for the new, but he sent them anyway and said pay me when your old lights sell. Truly an awesome person.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Same when I was setting up the new tank, a member on here had some spare hydra 26s that he sent me. I couldnt pay for them right away as I had to selly old lighting to pay for the new, but he sent them anyway and said pay me when your old lights sell. Truly an awesome person.

Yesssss! Share the love! That’s the true heart of any hobby.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOORAY!

Tomorrow I am picking up my SICCE Syncra Silent 1.5 Return Pump, and testing my parameters once I get to work. Hopefully the cycling is going well!
I think you will really like the sicce. I've used the 3.0 and 4.0 and can honestly say it's my favorite pump out of all that I've ever used.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will really like the sicce. I've used the 3.0 and 4.0 and can honestly say it's my favorite pump out of all that I've ever used.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about them, so I’m really excited to have one. I’ll probably get around to setting it up on Sunday!

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2E02CCE6-69B5-4D44-B7F6-5913D2D5A469.jpeg

Still not home yet but I came into work yesterday morning & had this lil baby sitting on my desk, waiting for me! I’m hoping to get it in the aquarium this weekend— probably Sunday.

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I have completely neglected updating this... whoops!

The tank is now completely cycled; I got a gorgeous pair of Davinci Extreme clownfish & a few little frags (Acans & a Frogspawn). I have quite a bit of CaribSea Life Rock, along with live rock, which my little guys just love for hiding. I got a beautiful frag rack from Zen-Reef at MACNA & it is so beautiful and well-made.

I’m running the AI Prime HD, the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0, & the TUNZE 9001 DC. For filtration, I’m using a 2.75” filter sock with several sponges— I pulled the carbon because I’m treating my clowns (they’ve been fighting & one looks like he has an infection on his mouth).

Next purchases for the build will be:
- A second frag rack from Zen-Reef
- XP Aqua Duetto ATO
- An actual order of frags
- Hanna kit

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m going to be using this thread to document my journey of my new Waterbox Cube 20! We have dubbed it the Cube 20 OG here at home, as it is one of the original models. I got sent home from work with this bad boy last week, & I’m finally getting it up & running.

I have an old pump & heater that are doing the job for now, and some filter sponges that I procured from a friend today. I have added the live sand, live rock and saltwater procured from the LFS (I promised myself an RO/DI unit as a housewarming gift once we get out of an apartment). I will be adding some dry rock once I get some of the equipment ordered & set up.

The Equipment Plan:
SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 Return Pump
TUNZE Comline DOC 9001 Protein Skimmer

The Lighting Plan:
AquaIllumination HD Prime LEDs with Flex Arm

The Filtration Plan:
2.75” Felt Filter Sock
Bioballs (undecided)
Filter Sponges
Activated Carbon
Chaeto

The Etc. Plan:
Media Basket
Replace Return Nozzle
Replace Filter Sock Holder

I’ll be updating with pictures once the water settles down— it’s super cloudy right now because apparently I’m a heathen that doesn’t rinse their sand. ;P
Hi Emily, just a tip for next time, if you remember to rinse your sand and then place it into your tank, I placed the bag that the sand was in, after rinsing the bag of cause, on top of the sand, where then I started to fill the tank with salt water on top of the bag not to disturb the sand, as the water level rose so did the bag and carried on pouring onto the bag till I reached my level, and do you no what, I have never had cloudy water from day one, so simple and it works.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I have completely neglected updating this... whoops!

The tank is now completely cycled; I got a gorgeous pair of Davinci Extreme clownfish & a few little frags (Acans & a Frogspawn). I have quite a bit of CaribSea Life Rock, along with live rock, which my little guys just love for hiding. I got a beautiful frag rack from Zen-Reef at MACNA & it is so beautiful and well-made.

I’m running the AI Prime HD, the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0, & the TUNZE 9001 DC. For filtration, I’m using a 2.75” filter sock with several sponges— I pulled the carbon because I’m treating my clowns (they’ve been fighting & one looks like he has an infection on his mouth).

Next purchases for the build will be:
- A second frag rack from Zen-Reef
- XP Aqua Duetto ATO
- An actual order of frags
- Hanna kit
Where are the pictures!
BTW, Happy Birthday!

OP
OP
EmilyXLC

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the pictures!
BTW, Happy Birthday!

Oh my gosh; thank you! It's been such a humdrum birthday since Hurricane Dorian ruined all of our plans.

I'll get some pictures of it after I get my tank maintenance done this Sunday!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back