Emperor Angel with velvet

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 is your final target but get there slowly

yep. .5 for cuppramine- dont go too slowly. You gotta get them up to therapeutic levels quickly with velvet. Time is of the essence.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else I should run with the copper?

Start with the copper for 30 days. Then you may want to run an antibiotic like kanaplex for any bacterial infections that will probably result from this. The first priority is to get the fish through the copper treatment and get rid of the velvet.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Prazipro for worms, fluke and other parasites while using cupramine. Do not add any water conditioner such as Prime while conducting copper treatment.

lisawolk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree with the others! There is no easy way to cure ich. It is very time consuming and must be done carefully to be effective. No other product such as Kick Ich, or Ich Attack will work. There is no product that is reef safe that works. If there was, we'd all know about it and it would be hard to keep it on the shelf and someone would be a millionaire.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you have already heard this but keep some mixing salt water on hand. Regular water changes will likely be needed since copper kills the biofilter.
a lot of people use regular filters seeded from their MT to establish a QT tank, seen a lot of people using matrix to colonize beneficial bacteria within their limited HOB filters. Copper does not kill or remove beneficial bacteria from your tank.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can seed it but I was under the impression that copper would kill the bacteria and thats why you need the ammonia badge? I don't mean to give conflicting information, perhaps I am misinformed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you have already heard this but keep some mixing salt water on hand. Regular water changes will likely be needed since copper kills the biofilter.

It wont kill the bio filter, but it will reduce it some. It will build itself back up, but the frequent water changes until the cycle is established is absolutely necessary.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can seed it but I was under the impression that copper would kill the bacteria and thats why you need the ammonia badge? I don't mean to give conflicting information, perhaps I am misinformed.

The ammonia badge is there because your regular ammonia test kits will not function properly in the presence of copper and some other meds. Copper may reduce your bio filter at first but it will build itself back up like normal.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I'm getting ready to set up a HT for tank transfer method and there is a ton of information out there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I'm getting ready to set up a HT for tank transfer method and there is a ton of information out there.

Anytime! Yes. Humblefish has a wonderful write up on TTM in the stickies here in the disease forum. Give that a read as it may fill in any blanks you might have on the subject.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem.. I only have 2 lfs. And there out of copper..

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quote extracted straight from Seachem support forum fyi:
A: Cupramine may slightly rretard the bacteria but overall it is safe to use and won't adversely affect the nitrifying bacteria. The reading of ammonia you're getting is most likely a false reading because Cupramine contains an organic amine which is very similar to ammonia in structure and the test kit is likely not able to distinguish between the two. You could try our MultiTest: Free and Total Ammonia test which does not have this issue and will not give a false positive... or you can use our Ammonia Alert which works on the same principal and will show only free ammonia.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back