Encrusting coral frag plug

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my return to the hobby I'm trying to avoid "mistakes". One of the mistakes I've made in my previous tanks was to just let the encrusting corals grow right around the frag plug. I'm not a huge fan of seeing the circle of the frag plug on the rock. I just looked today and after a little more than a month my encrusting monti frag that I bought has finally reached the edge of the frag plug. So I'm going to need to place it. Does anyone have an ideas on how to place an encrusting monti so that I don't see the ring? Have pictures? I'm a visual person.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my return to the hobby I'm trying to avoid "mistakes". One of the mistakes I've made in my previous tanks was to just let the encrusting corals grow right around the frag plug. I'm not a huge fan of seeing the circle of the frag plug on the rock. I just looked today and after a little more than a month my encrusting monti frag that I bought has finally reached the edge of the frag plug. So I'm going to need to place it. Does anyone have an ideas on how to place an encrusting monti so that I don't see the ring? Have pictures? I'm a visual person.
Press it in coral putty which now also comes in the color “coraline “

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Roll some putty into a long string shape. Wrap the putty roll piece (maybe some cryano glue so it sticks) it around the plug edge to smooth the 90 degree plug look, and as it encrusts it will blend in with the rock. You'll never notice the ring.

Even if you don't the plug won't stand out much once the colony is bigger.

Your choice.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back