encrusting monti placement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hermie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2018
Messages
2,444
Reaction score
2,571
Location
Georgia OTP
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a rainbow monti frag and don't want it to take over my rockwork. Do you have any advice on placement? Right now it's on a "pedestal" frag plug, and once it encrusts the plug entirely I'll move it to the rocks...

My goal is to have it encrust over algae-prone surfaces but like I said, not take over...

If I place it towards the bottom of the tank/rocks would that slow it's growth (a net positive)? Does it "have" to have high/mid light (150 to 200 par) ? I'm thinking it would be in a 100 PAR area.
 
I just got a rainbow monti frag and don't want it to take over my rockwork. Do you have any advice on placement? Right now it's on a "pedestal" frag plug, and once it encrusts the plug entirely I'll move it to the rocks...

My goal is to have it encrust over algae-prone surfaces but like I said, not take over...

If I place it towards the bottom of the tank/rocks would that slow it's growth (a net positive)? Does it "have" to have high/mid light (150 to 200 par) ? I'm thinking it would be in a 100 PAR area.
I’d be careful with the par, worst case you place something else to fill that space so they are confined to their ‘spots’. Putting a month in lower par may kill it
 
Attach it to a grow out rock 6”-7” across that way you can move the whole colony easy peasy . And it won’t take over your rock work.
 
I keep mine mid tank under moderate light and water flow.
 
I’m thinking of doing this with a few different monti . And different chalice

the only thing I am worried about is weight ?
even if they attach and encrust to the glass the weight will eventually break ?
I use coral glue and glue onto an aquarium magnet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new