Encrusting white layer on my rock

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff showed up almost instantly, 7 week old tank and last few days I've been adding PurpleUp to help the corraline grow. I cant get a good pic but its a layer ontop of my rock and its VERY WHITE. I read it may be bleaching but this is new growth. I have very little flow in the areas covered in this. Is it possibly where stuff is settling because I'm maybe overdoing the P.U? I am getting an up to date parameter test and will post numbers below

20220911_194830.jpg

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up is typically a kH solution. It is quite possible this is a precipitate of the carbonates. Check you magnesium level

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any? That’s pretty low and would explain why you’re getting the precipitate. I would hold off on adding anything until you get the mg up. What salt are you using and if you are dosing Mg what brand?
If you’re following the instructions you shouldn’t be testing wrong but it doesn’t hurt to find a video explanation on YouTube to verify your procedure.

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any? That’s pretty low and would explain why you’re getting the precipitate. I would hold off on adding anything until you get the mg up. What salt are you using and if you are dosing Mg what brand?
If you’re following the instructions you shouldn’t be testing wrong but it doesn’t hurt to find a video explanation on YouTube to verify your procedure.
Well my worry about testing is that the video I watched said to redraw until .85 and the booklet says ignore the air gap and it usually comes up at .80
The only thing I was dosing is the purple up
I've been using Fritz reef pro mix for the saltwater

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back