End of 30 day treatment for ich with copper

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is the end of my 30 day treatment for ich using Copper Power. Should I just observe for the next 2 weeks or should i add Prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is the end of my 30 day treatment for ich using Copper Power. Should I just observe for the next 2 weeks or should i add Prazipro?
Personally, I would run prazi twice, 8 days apart (16 days total) and then observe them for two more weeks. This assumes the quarantine tank is running well.
Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should do a water change after the first 8 day treatment and then another after 2nd treatment?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I should do a water change after the first 8 day treatment and then another after 2nd treatment?
After day 8 water change and one more 8 day interval
With prazi add aeration via air stone as it can reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions for Prazipro says not to run carbon. I was going to add the filter media back to the filter to get rid of the copper. The filter media has carbon in it. Should I not add it back to the filter yet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions for Prazipro says not to run carbon. I was going to add the filter media back to the filter to get rid of the copper. The filter media has carbon in it. Should I not add it back to the filter yet?
Carbon is overrated in its ability to remove amine based copper medications. Water changes are best, or you can try some of the copper sequestering products like CupriSorb.

I would try and lower the copper a bit before dosing with Prazipro - you don't want to hit the fish with double meds as it can be stresssful.

Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is overrated in its ability to remove amine based copper medications. Water changes are best, or you can try some of the copper sequestering products like CupriSorb.

I would try and lower the copper a bit before dosing with Prazipro - you don't want to hit the fish with double meds as it can be stresssful.

Jay
Ok. Thank you. I did a 30% water change waited an hour and then tested for copper. Test show 0.75 copper. Is that safe enough to add Prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thank you. I did a 30% water change waited an hour and then tested for copper. Test show 0.75 copper. Is that safe enough to add Prazipro?

Yes, IMO it is.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back