Engineer Goby not eating for the past week or so...

SupernovaGoesPop

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2024
Messages
16
Reaction score
14
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

My ~10inch Engineer Goby has not been eating for almost a week now during feeding times and acting out of the norm. It's out of the burrow way more often and seems to be swimming against the glass, almost like a newly added fish exploring the limits of the tank. I've had this goby for a couple years now (I unfortunately don't recall how long exactly) and got the fish when it was still only about 2 inches long and had it's juvenile patterns. It's been months since I added any other fish to the tank and none of my other fish (Scopas, Whitetail Bristletooth, Sixline, 2 Maroon Clowns) are acting any different. Neither the goby or any other fish are showing any signs of disease, and the goby doesn't have any injuries that I can see. He's still plump and looks healthy, but I'm starting to get worried that something is wrong. I've tried adding selcon/garlic to the food. I feed a mixture of frozen mysis/brine, frozen baby krill, pellets and sometimes flakes. He even normally eats the nori I add for the tangs.

Parameters
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 7.9
No ammonia or nitrite
I need to measure Nitrate again, but it's always low.
Tank is a 150gal display with a sump/refugium. All coral and my bubble tip anemones are doing fine. The tank has been running for ~4 years now. Water changes are done every 2 weeks normally.

Anyone experienced a situation like this with an Engineer Goby?

Attached video was taken during feeding time... that's why the pumps are all off.
 

Attachments

  • 20250414_195206.mp4
    42.3 MB
Hello All,

My ~10inch Engineer Goby has not been eating for almost a week now during feeding times and acting out of the norm. It's out of the burrow way more often and seems to be swimming against the glass, almost like a newly added fish exploring the limits of the tank. I've had this goby for a couple years now (I unfortunately don't recall how long exactly) and got the fish when it was still only about 2 inches long and had it's juvenile patterns. It's been months since I added any other fish to the tank and none of my other fish (Scopas, Whitetail Bristletooth, Sixline, 2 Maroon Clowns) are acting any different. Neither the goby or any other fish are showing any signs of disease, and the goby doesn't have any injuries that I can see. He's still plump and looks healthy, but I'm starting to get worried that something is wrong. I've tried adding selcon/garlic to the food. I feed a mixture of frozen mysis/brine, frozen baby krill, pellets and sometimes flakes. He even normally eats the nori I add for the tangs.

Parameters
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 7.9
No ammonia or nitrite
I need to measure Nitrate again, but it's always low.
Tank is a 150gal display with a sump/refugium. All coral and my bubble tip anemones are doing fine. The tank has been running for ~4 years now. Water changes are done every 2 weeks normally.

Anyone experienced a situation like this with an Engineer Goby?

Attached video was taken during feeding time... that's why the pumps are all off.
Mine is out often and its seeking food or being intimated as possibilities.
Any new fish additions?
Any changes to lighting, flow or temperature?
 
Mine is out often and its seeking food or being intimated as possibilities.
Any new fish additions?
Any changes to lighting, flow or temperature?
He would partially come out during feeding time to grab food, but I always tried to target feed him anyway. No changes to lighting, flow or temp. The only new addition was the Sixline, back in January.
 
Maybe it is lonely and looking for a mate? Looks ok otherwise.
Yeah that thought had crossed my mind as well. I know they're communal in the wild. I originally purchased 2 Engineer Gobies, but one of them didn't make it. Looked like he got stuck trying to dig in the rocks and injured itself.

And yeah, mine looks just fine. He's started filling out within the past few months and I can't see a single mark or indication of disease. Just worried that he hasn't eaten in around a week that I've seen.
 
Yeah that thought had crossed my mind as well. I know they're communal in the wild. I originally purchased 2 Engineer Gobies, but one of them didn't make it. Looked like he got stuck trying to dig in the rocks and injured itself.

And yeah, mine looks just fine. He's started filling out within the past few months and I can't see a single mark or indication of disease. Just worried that he hasn't eaten in around a week that I've seen.
Filling with gametes then. I would be careful that it doesn't wander out of the tank in the coming weeks.
 
Filling with gametes then. I would be careful that it doesn't wander out of the tank in the coming weeks.
Oh really? You think he's looking for a mate? I do have a full mesh lid over the tank so I'm not really worried about him jumping out, but I'll keep any eye on him. Will he start eating normally again soon?
 
Oh really? You think he's looking for a mate? I do have a full mesh lid over the tank so I'm not really worried about him jumping out, but I'll keep any eye on him. Will he start eating normally again soon?
I don't really know your fish that well but I have to hope it will. It looks healthy, and it is spring time.
 
He would partially come out during feeding time to grab food, but I always tried to target feed him anyway. No changes to lighting, flow or temp. The only new addition was the Sixline, back in January.
Ive had mine 5+ years and they dont get lonely???
Is 6-line starting to hover in area where the goby dwells in the tank?
Mine had same habit , grab food and head back in but more exploratory over the last year. If no changes in tank and feeding and breathing as normal, I would keep an eye on it.
 
Ive had mine 5+ years and they dont get lonely???
Is 6-line starting to hover in area where the goby dwells in the tank?
Mine had same habit , grab food and head back in but more exploratory over the last year. If no changes in tank and feeding and breathing as normal, I would keep an eye on it.
The Sixline moves all around the tank but I've never seen a bit of aggression between them. The wrasse sleeps on the toward the other end of the tank as well. I'll keep an eye on him and keep trying to target feed.

Thanks
 
The Sixline moves all around the tank but I've never seen a bit of aggression between them. The wrasse sleeps on the toward the other end of the tank as well. I'll keep an eye on him and keep trying to target feed.

Thanks
Does it react to you if you move your hand outside the tank (not making any vibrations)? You should test that to ensure it hasn’t gone blind….
 
Does it react to you if you move your hand outside the tank (not making any vibrations)? You should test that to ensure it hasn’t gone blind….
That was another concern that I had, but he will definitely react when I'm near the tank and will return to his burrow. As far as I can tell, he can see fine.
 
That was another concern that I had, but he will definitely react when I'm near the tank and will return to his burrow. As far as I can tell, he can see fine.

O.K, I just wanted to rule that out. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions, sorry.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new